Royer Mic's on Strings

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Mzkguy
alignin' 24-trk

Royer Mic's on Strings

Post by Mzkguy » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:05 pm

Anyone out there use the Royer 121's on string sections? I'm looking into a pair. I know they sound great on guitars etc, but I've never used 'em on a string section before. Any thoughts?
Mzkguy

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Royer Mic's on Strings

Post by Professor » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:13 pm

Strings are suppose to be one those places where ribbons are magical, though I've not tried the Royers yet. I have been going round and round trying to decide between a pair of Royers, Coles or these guys from AEA http://www.wesdooley.com/R84zone.html with their 2" ribbon and 20-20k response.

-Jeremy

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:21 pm

Don't have them myself, but I have tried em' (Royers) on nylon. WOW!
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.

Katrina
studio intern

Post by Katrina » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:36 pm

all i gotta say is buy a pair of AEA ribbons. they're worth it.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:25 am

My second engineer has used the 121's before but I haven't, yet. He LOVES them so much I'm considering getting at least one if not a matched pair. I do have other ribbon mics like the RCA 44BX, (2) RCA 74B's, and an RCA BK5B (I have a thing for the RCA's) and they sound amazing for certain things. I use ribbon mics for stringed instruments all the time. The reason I like ribbons on a stringed instrument is because a ribbon mic has a 'smearing' quality to it; it's a very even fat tone without getting to muddy or bright. They don't over accentuate the bowing but allows the sound to cuddle frequencies like a soft pillow. I had a guy come in that records and tours with a major label act playing Cello and he was floored by the sound I got using a ribbon mic. He said, "You made my $2500 Cello sound like a million-dollar Cello". The tone was rich and healthy; low notes where deeply rich and even and high notes were deeply rich and even. I don't know how I got along so long without having at least one ribbon mic in my collection. If I could afford it I'd use ribbon mics on everything (although to some clients ribbon mics can sound a little too dumpy on some vocalists).

Before I get too far off subject I'll just leave it at that.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:03 am

the 121's should sound good on everything, great on some things. As stated, they can smear a bit, which makes for good room mics for an orchestra (or a drum kit!). I wouldn't recommend them for acoustic or nylon guitar. Compared it to a U47 on upright a few times...not as focused as the 47, but chilled out some annoying frequencies on one particular bass, and had plenty low end to go around.

It does seem more versatile and more durable than the 4038.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:37 am

I generally prefer the Royer SF-1 on strings... YMMV