Compression Tard!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kRza.
pushin' record

Compression Tard!

Post by kRza. » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:49 am

I have a drummer - who sings - and just bought a compressor to enhance his vocals to Front of house. He's not a squealer, but isn't sissy on the drums either - what can you suggest as a ballpark dial in?

Ratio around 2 to 4:1 - I've got the Threshold at roughly -5 ,...attack is little less than quickest setting and release is fastest setting. Sounds good in practice coming through a 12" bass cab speaker!!

The problem being...I'm sending them off to their show tomorrow & this hasn't been checked in a live PA before. I'm trying to gauge the settings so as to not pick up to much of the drums. He's got one of those Audix OM5's which help - but can you suggest a happy mix of compression for this situation. Or at least a starting point?

Thanks.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Compression Tard!

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:00 am

Well, it's meaningless to set the threshold to a particular number and then try to discuss it. Much more useful would be to set the threshold while watching the gain reduction meter - for live I like the fastest possible attack, a slowish release (250ms or more), and 2-3 dB gain reduction on average singing. Oh, and ratio maybe 2-5.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:08 am

Yup, typically you set the ratio, attack and release, then bring the threshold down until you get 3-6db of gain reduction.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:56 am

here's a thought...

how often does he sing? every song? no? maybe you should get him a bypass switch to run inline on his mic. i hate having a hugely compressed vocal mic hanging over a drum kit all night. sounds of ass...

as for the comp, treat it like any other vocal, but be aware that the snare is going to trigger compression almost definitely.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:01 am

why not ask the soundman to handle the compression?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Post by atdunlap » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:07 am

Or, better yet... In a live setting, use expansion instead of compression. Compression could easily end up worsening the problem of drum bleed by actually making it sound louder relative to the vocal. Expansion works by pushing signals that aren't as loud as the threshold even lower. That's what you need. That way your mic is effectively "muted" until the drummer starts his vocal part (or hits the snare really hard, but anyway.....). It can sort of work as a "voice activated" mute switch.

Andrew
When in doubt, try it anyway... it just might work.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:05 pm

trekky95 wrote:Or, better yet... In a live setting, use expansion instead of compression. Compression could easily end up worsening the problem of drum bleed by actually making it sound louder relative to the vocal. Expansion works by pushing signals that aren't as loud as the threshold even lower. That's what you need. That way your mic is effectively "muted" until the drummer starts his vocal part (or hits the snare really hard, but anyway.....). It can sort of work as a "voice activated" mute switch.
How about a gate?

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:09 pm

gated vocals live? that's just asking for it in my opinion. it never reacts the same way twice. and how many clubs even have a decent gate available for such a task with the requisite adjustments? make the talentless boob kick a footswitch, that's what i say, then compress the signal, run it to a separate monitor with a blown horn and re-mic that signal, send it to the mains and crank it. that'll learn 'im....

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:30 pm

If the club has a proper sound system and a staff sound person then suggesting compressor settings to him or her will produce nothing good. I would just assume that he or she is knowledgeable and will do the job just fine. Besides, you would have no control over what happens out in front anyways no matter what you say. So why add to the pre stage anxiety by worrying about something you have no control over anyway.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:30 pm

fremitus, did you downsize your avatar?
that's bumming me out dude
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:36 pm

Everybody's X wrote:fremitus, did you downsize your avatar?
that's bumming me out dude
Yeah, seriously- you need to blow that shit back up like, now.
Steve Albini used to like it

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:46 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
trekky95 wrote:Or, better yet... In a live setting, use expansion instead of compression. Compression could easily end up worsening the problem of drum bleed by actually making it sound louder relative to the vocal. Expansion works by pushing signals that aren't as loud as the threshold even lower. That's what you need. That way your mic is effectively "muted" until the drummer starts his vocal part (or hits the snare really hard, but anyway.....). It can sort of work as a "voice activated" mute switch.
How about a gate?
like someone said though, wouldn't the snare definitely cross the threshold? then you'd be reinforcing the snare in the vocal signal too right?
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:50 pm

I try to mute drummer's mics when they aren't singing (at leat those guys that move the boom away) - this is because I have nothing better to do when I do sound than uhhhhh, MY JOB.

I agree about open vocal mics for the drummer - compression doesn't help with bleed. I tend to give the drummer a Beta 58 to lessen bleed.