reverb on drums?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Re: reverb on drums?

Post by X-ian » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:43 pm

I think much of it depends on the song and song tempo. I use more reverb be it natural room sound or fake, on slower tempos. If I am recording a fast punk rock band I will put my room mics through a compressor pumping in rhythm and create more depth by bussing all the drums to an eighth note delay and mixing in bits of both. This gets me depth and energy in my mix without some washed out reverb sound flabing all over everything. But if I have a butt rock band in, and the drummer loves Journey and the tempo is slow it's reverb city man. I also try to set the decay so it won?t overlap snare hits. Since I record to hard disc, many times I will also run everything out through this 70's Sun Beta bass amp that gets a wicked distortion that smoothes out the high end on my cymbals, then put up some room mics and re-record the amp. If you put a delay on the reamped stuff you can get a huge Bonham sound (assuming the drummer can play well and tune his drums). I used to run a drum shop so sometimes I can be a bit of a Nazi about tuning. But it?s better than trying to fix a crapy drum sound in the mix. But this is just works for me play around have fun nothing I do is set in stone. I am always trying to get a new sound by trying something I haven't done before.
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:46 pm

fremitus wrote:totally '93.
that's hot. man i miss the days of recording drums all crazy compressed and cranked with a saucy snare. i miss albums by hum. anyone else?
(this is not a hijack)
So funny. I talked to Matt Talbott today on the phone. He was the singer of hum. He has a cool studio outside champaign,IL these days and some kids and is happy and healthy and doesnt use reverb on the drums usually.

I do. Sometimes. This is too case specific to just say "I ALWAYS do this" or "I always do that."

That would be like a chef making blanket statements about a crtain spice, like " I ALWAYS use cumin, no matter what happens..." even for cereal? or for cakes?

I dont know why I thought of cumin. I dont think I have ever used cumin....

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:
fremitus wrote:totally '93.
that's hot. man i miss the days of recording drums all crazy compressed and cranked with a saucy snare. i miss albums by hum. anyone else?
(this is not a hijack)
So funny. I talked to Matt Talbott today on the phone. He was the singer of hum. He has a cool studio outside champaign,IL these days and some kids and is happy and healthy and doesnt use reverb on the drums usually.
tell matt to get the band together and give me one more kick ass album. thanks.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:16 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:So funny. I talked to Matt Talbott today on the phone. He was the singer of hum. He has a cool studio outside champaign,IL these days and some kids and is happy and healthy and doesnt use reverb on the drums usually.
good. thats what I want to hear. About the drums anyway. Also Joel, do you have a list of cool rock dudes phone numbers on your wall? I hope so, and it better say "LIST OF COOL RAWWWK DUDES NUMBERS" at the top. If you dont, you should make one.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:That would be like a chef making blanket statements about a crtain spice, like " I ALWAYS use cumin, no matter what happens..." even for cereal? or for cakes?

I dont know why I thought of cumin. I dont think I have ever used cumin....

Joel, I always use cumin.

you should give it a try.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:19 pm

I cumin your mom!

ZANNNNNNNG

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:33 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:
Joel Hamilton wrote:So funny. I talked to Matt Talbott today on the phone. He was the singer of hum. He has a cool studio outside champaign,IL these days and some kids and is happy and healthy and doesnt use reverb on the drums usually.
good. thats what I want to hear. About the drums anyway. Also Joel, do you have a list of cool rock dudes phone numbers on your wall? I hope so, and it better say "LIST OF COOL RAWWWK DUDES NUMBERS" at the top. If you dont, you should make one.
I should make a list like that! Its just my cell phone, bro. (fake lame hipster attitude).

I know matt from a band I was in years back called shiner. We played with Hum a bunch.

I wonder if he liked the reverb on astronaut?

We should poll musicians about records they were on and if there was reverb and if they asked for it... ;)

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:47 pm

Joel, you're my hero.. One day when I grow up I'll have rawk dude's numbers in my cel phone. 8)

And I can't believe it took this thread to make me realize that I'm totally Mr. '93.. And all my friends think I'm in the 80's. Wait until I tell them!
I eat glue.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:21 pm

Reverb. Like other people said, it's completely dependent upon the context of the piece of music you're recording. I've found the only time I like to use reverb on drums is when I want them to sound loose and distant...airy. Otherwise, I try to record them as dry as possible.

There are, of course, exceptions to everything. Sometimes, run them through as many goofy effects as possible...make them sound like a robot farting while having sex...whatever. It just depends on what you're doing, what you wish to accomplish. Don't get stuck in a pattern.