Sony MXP-3036

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
markpar
george martin

Sony MXP-3036

Post by markpar » Mon May 12, 2003 11:05 pm

Anyone have any experience with or information on this console? The seller I'm talking with says that Sony bought MCI (which I'm pretty sure is true) and that this console is heavily based on an MCI console, but doesn't know which one. Can anyone confirm this? Is it based on the MCI 636, by any chance?

Thanks for any info you can provide,
-mark

bigtoe
deaf.

Re: Sony MXP-3036

Post by bigtoe » Tue May 13, 2003 5:17 am

hey there- you may wanna check over at aea...i think they have info on this board...Mike

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Tue May 13, 2003 6:25 am

Well, I used to work at MCI/Sony and know quite a bit about most of the products designed during that time period. The MXP-3036 is pretty much a newer design. The eq and preamp circuits were entirely new. John Hardy and API also offered plugin preamps and EQs as well. These modules just plug into the slot on the I/O module. There were also a multitude of different preamps and eqs available from Sony.

All in all a good "American" sounding console, very quiet and clean. The VCA based automation sucked, but there was a retrofit JL Cooper interface which helped, if you can still find a Mac SE-30 to run it on. I believe at this time, JL Cooper still has some interfaces/software available. If you can get a non-automated model, Uptown makes a moving fader retrofit for it, although its a bear to install and kind of expensive. I've seen these consoles with GML automation also.

Interconnects internal to the console were done with shielded ribbon cable rather than discreet cable harnesses (ala MCI). The faders, pots and other components are the same as the older MCI consoles. Some of the parts may be hard to come by, but most failures are simply standard 5534/5532 ic's and assorted transistors. I/O connections were tuchel connectors. If you buy one, make sure they include these as they're getting harder to find.

From what I read here at Tape-op, people prefer consoles and tape machines with character. This console is more transparent than any "English" board but does have its own sound. IMHO it is much better sounding than a JH600 (I never appreciated that model). The Eq's sound more like the older JH500 although they lack inductors and were entirely op-amp based. The eq of choice would be the wein bridge EQ's. There were also state-variable eq's and LC eq's (those had inductors). Email my privately, if you have any more questions. ladewd@yahoo.com

Hope this helps,
ladewd

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue May 13, 2003 10:23 am

Thanks for the info!

-mark

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue May 13, 2003 10:47 am

bigtoe wrote:hey there- you may wanna check over at aea...i think they have info on this board...Mike
What's AEA?

Thanks!
-mark

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue May 13, 2003 11:15 am

yo-

www.wesdooley.com ... audio engineering associates...

http://www.wesdooley.com/Sony_MXP3000.html

cool guys on the phone too...i write aea cuz io always forget if there's an e in dooley...

Mike

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue May 13, 2003 11:25 am

Thanks, Mike!

-mark