Buying a bass cabinet. Should I get a 1x15 or a 4x10?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Re: Buying a bass cabinet. Should I get a 1x15 or a 4x10?

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:05 am

I vote (do I get a vote?) for the 2 X 10 and the 1 X 15 combo. Bass cabs are heavy and such a drag to drag around. You'll be happy to have separate ones at 2:30 a.m. with a head full of pabst (and its attending, pounding head ache), that you a) knew it was a small club so you only brought one of the cabs, or b) can make two trips--or better yet, sucker someone into carrying the second one for you.

Since I lived in Chicago for so long, I'm accustomed to having two votes, so I also vote for considering the aguilar 1 x 12s. I too had never heard of 12" bass speakers, but after a lot of research, took the risk and purchased one. I'm not doing much (make that any) gigging at this point, but playing with other folks is fine with one.

I came really close to getting the avatar's that someone else is talking about. I'm guessing those would be great too.

DryCounty: That cab sounds like a bloody beast. Very cool. I wonder what that design conversation went like with the Cinderella fella? "Um... I don't know... what if... like... you bolted two of 'em together... that'd be cool."

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:04 am

My friend has one of the old Bassman 4 x 12" cabs with the inward angled speakers. Whomever owned it before him replaced two of the speakers with some shitty home audio ones so it buzzes and farts so I could not really tell. I will not be moving the cabinet I buy, it will sit at our rehearsal space/recording space so the size is no biggie, plus I am a drummer and used to hauling all my crap plus our bass players SVT rig so I am used to being a grunt. Seems I am gravitating towards the 4 x 10". I tried my bassplayers Ampeg HF 4 x 10 last night and it sounded great with my Orange head, and the 18" unplugged. I really appreciate all of the comments.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:17 am

I get a great recorded bass sound with a cheapo peavey tko 65, a 1 15". It's all in the fingers and muting.
beware bee wear

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:52 am

It just occurred to me, I bought my speakers at a place that was listed on ebay, they are 150 watt tens, I got them for 30 bucks each, WAY deal, they sound as good as anything I have heard. If you want info on them, let me know and I will see if I have them bookmarked or have a record of their name somewhere, they sell cabs mail order too. I had a very good experience dealing with them.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 am

comfortstarr wrote:
DryCounty: That cab sounds like a bloody beast. Very cool. I wonder what that design conversation went like with the Cinderella fella? "Um... I don't know... what if... like... you bolted two of 'em together... that'd be cool."
It's likely it went something like this:

"I want a heavy ass cabinet that is going to be hell on earth for all of my roadies. Make sure there are no side handles, and that the casters start to fail on occasion. As well, I want a single 15" on the bottom so that all of my worshiping fans up front can feel my heavy grooves while the 4x10s will show those at the back of the arena just what I'm talking about. Oh, and by the way, make sure the electrics that allow for biamping this thing go south after like five years."

Or something like that.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:25 am

Too small? What are you talking about? If we're getting into inches of speaker you have 20 inches of speaker with two 10's as opposed to 15 inches of speaker with a 15.
Whose your 4th grade math teacher? The area of a circle is [pi] x r squared.

The area of 2 10 inch speakers give 50 [pi].
The area of 1 15 inch speaker gives 56.25 [pi].

Geez!
0x

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:52 am

That 2x10 and a 1x15 or a 1x18 is a great combo. You can practice with just the 2x10 and play small gigs with it. Bring out both of em for the loud "big uns".
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com