Cool XY and AB micing techniques

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Re: Cool XY and AB micing techniques

Post by junkstar » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:42 pm

kayagum wrote: I thought two things were interesting:
(a) the wider the angle of the mic spread, the narrower the angle of useful coverage.
(b) different mic capsule distances can net different useful results.
This is covered in the new TapeOp from what I recall.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:09 pm

junkstar wrote:
kayagum wrote: I thought two things were interesting:
(a) the wider the angle of the mic spread, the narrower the angle of useful coverage.
(b) different mic capsule distances can net different useful results.
This is covered in the new TapeOp from what I recall.
In general terms, yes. I was just looking for more elaboration. Maybe there's none to be had.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:32 am

BTW, bigtoe, I've always thought you've added postively to the conversation on practically every thread you've been on. Maybe your post here was a little crabby, but point taken. I just thought it was funny that people were so eager to say "ooh! ooh! buy this stereo mic!" and not care about stereo placements.

hey no biggie - i can get crabby...but dude the way to bring up a topic doesn't seem to be "hey everyone here is an ignorant asshole and the internet is worthless..."

it's been done and i find it a retarded way to get attention...it's no fun. i read your posts with interest usually, as well.

'I was just interested in "the wider the mic angle, the narrower the coverage spread" phenomenon. If it's just a simple "you lose the central image when the mic is so far off to the side that the pickup pattern leaves the middle", then that's fine.'

it is, i believe. what coverage spread is, i don't know...

you want fun - try mixing up patterns in the same hall or on the same source...XY with an MS in the back...double MS, Spaced pair and XY, all sorts of stuff...it gets nuts...which is why i prefer mono! he he.

Mike