CB Radio sound on vox

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Disasteradio
pushin' record

Re: CB Radio sound on vox

Post by Disasteradio » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:18 pm

Theron D wrote:Let the noise begin.....
just admit it, we all know you're covering "Convoy" :wink:
CONVOOOOOOYYY!

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:53 am

I says "Pigpen this here is the RubberDuck,
We just aint goona pay no toll",
So we crashed the gate doing 98,
I says let them truckers roll,
10-4.

Poetry. All I can say is poetry.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:24 am

The Spark wrote: I says let them truckers roll,
10-4.
Where's that from? That's one of my dad's favourite expressions.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:30 am

But hold your horses, pardner: you may want to be conservative with this technique. Take a look at the "Currently done to death studio techniques" thread, or whatever it was called, and you'll find the am radio thing listed near the top. That's all this world needs: one more am radio sound on a recording. God, by time I heard it on sMiLe I was so over it I almost puked. Of course, sMiLe did it decades ago, but still. Not Brians fault (guess he was even "ahead of his time," in this regard), just bad timing.

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:33 am

it may be overdone, but can be exactly what the song needs. i still see clients come through who want that for certain parts. its a good idea to be able to provide it. so rock on with your CB sound.
boom-ptch-boom

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:43 pm

Rigsby wrote:Where's that from? That's one of my dad's favourite expressions.
WHAT? if you haven't heard Convoy you owe me a dollar. man I used to love that song when I was a kid. (unless you mean "10-4" which I too was wondering about, and found it explained here)

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:43 pm

twitchmonitor wrote:But hold your horses, pardner: you may want to be conservative with this technique. Take a look at the "Currently done to death studio techniques" thread, or whatever it was called, and you'll find the am radio thing listed near the top. That's all this world needs: one more am radio sound on a recording. God, by time I heard it on sMiLe I was so over it I almost puked. Of course, sMiLe did it decades ago, but still. Not Brians fault (guess he was even "ahead of his time," in this regard), just bad timing.
The thing on SMiLE was a bull horn, and I think it has a way different sound then CB or AM radio.

The bull horn has a harsh plastic horn sound, AM radio just lacks highs and lows, and CB sounds tend to have thin and a really gainy sound like you are overdriving almost to the point of distortion. I think of the chatter in THX-1176 or whatever it's called with the interference and modulations as more of a CB sound.

And Convoy is one of the best songs ever written.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Here is a trick I just did while recording this hardcore band. They wanted a count of "1 2 3 4" real nasty sounding. So I recorded my voice screaming into the sampler mic of a Casio SK-1. Hooked the SK-1 in to a pre-amp and clipped it to give it some harsh distortion.

The band was happy with it and so was I. It is a little different from what you are wanting though. You can't really sing a whole verse into a SK-1 unless the verse is like 5 seconds long...

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:20 pm

nacho459 wrote:
The thing on SMiLE was a bull horn, and I think it has a way different sound then CB or AM radio.
Really? The way it fills out into a full frequency sound (at "how I love my girl..") sure sounds like high and low cut filters being opened up. How would they make a bull horn sound transition into the regular part....I don't get it.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:55 pm

nacho459 wrote:And Convoy is one of the best songs ever written.
Oh hell yah!

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:18 am

twitchmonitor wrote:
nacho459 wrote:
Really? The way it fills out into a full frequency sound (at "how I love my girl..") sure sounds like high and low cut filters being opened up. How would they make a bull horn sound transition into the regular part....I don't get it.

Oh no not that part, I was thinking about the part in "On A Holiday" the little pirate part. Yeah I think the tag at the end of "Our Prayer" is just filters.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:05 am

Disasteradio wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Where's that from? That's one of my dad's favourite expressions.
WHAT? if you haven't heard Convoy you owe me a dollar. man I used to love that song when I was a kid. (unless you mean "10-4" which I too was wondering about, and found it explained here)
No, i've not heard the song.

...Do you accept paypal?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Matt Allison
audio school

Post by Matt Allison » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:16 am

Many cell phones have headphone jacks on them. In the live room have the vocal done into a phone that's dialed or 2-way radioed to a cell phone in the control room. Use it's headset jack to go into your recorder or processors.

Matt Allison
audio school

Post by Matt Allison » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:20 am

The original Smile tracks didn't have filtering on them, so I also thought it was sort of odd it was added. But it does work well in 'Holidays'.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:24 am

Matt Allison wrote:The original Smile tracks didn't have filtering on them, so I also thought it was sort of odd it was added. But it does work well in 'Holidays'.
Really? I've never heard the "original" version, and I've heard lots of people here say how faithful the recording was to the bootlegs, so I just assumed that the same effect wasa on those. No? Odd that they would faithfully reproduce bad tape edits and such and then throw in a godawful "trick" like that. Weird.