Smells like indie spirit

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Jeff Wobblybottom
audio school graduate

Re: Smells like indie spirit

Post by Jeff Wobblybottom » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:35 am

joeysimms wrote:I don't care what you like, it sucks!

Eat it, grungeindiepunkrockalternaemohippies!
That's it simms, we've had it with you, i ain't gonna go chasing your tail now y'hear? Kiss the toes boy, kiss the toes, or you'll be locked in the cowshed while papa gets the whip.

Good boy.
Minor Talent, Major Ego
www.$35records.com

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:10 am

Whip me, Teenage babe!

Time to raise the bar, fools! What's that, you were shooting for Sam Cooke, barbara Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Ika and Tina Turner?? Fuck that, yo, it's ALL about anthony Keidis and system of a down!
beware bee wear

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 am

As far as I remember, people have been using the term "indie rock" for like 12 or 13 years. There's a Sebadoh song called "Just Gimme Indie Rock" that's from about 1992. I remember the Pixies being suddenly moved to the newly invented "Alternative" section in record stores around 90 or 91', but indie rock as a word has been around to describe anything made by "different" kids for a long time, too.

I think it's descriptive in that it implies something fairly broad, but specific enough to make one understood a lot of the time. It's just a word.
It's not just a word....it's an elitist stereotype. When these phrases first get "coined", its usually for the simple reason of identifying with something. Indie may have been a valid descriptive word from 1988 or so to 1992, but now its just a catch all for bands that need a tag (and people who need to latch onto an identity to feel more secure).

"It's always the same when you're jumping someone else's train..."[/quote]

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:21 am

No, it really is just a word..and a label. How in the fuck can a word like indie be an "elitist stereotype"? It's a derivative of the word "independent". Who gives a fuck about labels, anyway? What a stupid and pointless argument!
beware bee wear

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:21 am

Fieryjack wrote:
As far as I remember, people have been using the term "indie rock" for like 12 or 13 years. There's a Sebadoh song called "Just Gimme Indie Rock" that's from about 1992. I remember the Pixies being suddenly moved to the newly invented "Alternative" section in record stores around 90 or 91', but indie rock as a word has been around to describe anything made by "different" kids for a long time, too.

I think it's descriptive in that it implies something fairly broad, but specific enough to make one understood a lot of the time. It's just a word.
It's not just a word....it's an elitist stereotype. When these phrases first get "coined", its usually for the simple reason of identifying with something. Indie may have been a valid descriptive word from 1988 or so to 1992, but now its just a catch all for bands that need a tag (and people who need to latch onto an identity to feel more secure).

"It's always the same when you're jumping someone else's train..."
[/quote]

I'm just saying that I think it's silly that people get so up in arms about it all. I mean all any pop music scene is is a re-enactment of high school, a cesspool of backchatter, cliquishness, arbitrary competitiveness, and pettiness that is virtually indistinguishable from the actual high school experience, except that sometimes the people who had no social leverage in high school are the ones wielding it....but not even all the time. Making dinstinctions within that framework seems futile and pointless. They're all pretty abstract and inconsequential as problems go, but since most white people in this country don't have real problems, I guess we have to make up stuff. I'm no different. This is probably why therapists make such a killing. I just think a little perspective can be helpful to assuage the rage.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:53 pm

What does it all mean?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:27 pm

Alfie?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~