Analog reverb that isn't spring?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Beneficial
pushin' record

Analog reverb that isn't spring?

Post by Beneficial » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:26 pm

Like many people, I'm in search of the perfect, warm, rich, colorful, musical reverb. Most of the older reverb boxes I read about are digital. A lot of them are produced in the 80's. I've seen some expensive lexicon stuff etc. It seems like these boxes would have terrible D/A converters. If the processing is digital would they have any advantage over plugins that are process the sound digitally like the Waves RennVerb, or the IR? I know I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

I've seen old tube driven spring reverb boxes out there, and plenty of old digital boxes, but were there any reverb units made that were based on analog circuitry? Is plate the destination of my quest?

I love the sound of the drum reverb on The Infamous album by Mobb Deep, also the rimshot reverb on the Outkast track "Elevators" from the Atliens album. 90's hip hop reverb. I also love old motown reverb like Scatman Crother's "St James Infirmary"

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: Analog reverb that isn't spring?

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 pm

Some "analog' reverbs are based on bucket-brigade-delay circuits. Radio Shack made some :) that I have. Sound like you imagine.
Springs, as you know, and plates, as well as natural acoustic rooms/chambers are the bulk of what I think of as "Analog Reverb".

Dedicated hardware boxes, even some "cheap" and/or "old" ones have the advantage of dedicated DSP over plug-ins... if that explains that to you (think about how much CPU power a plug like the Waves 'verb uses...

Just some thoughts on the matter, certainly not the only ones.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 pm

A good plate reverb is very cool. Hard to find and spendy. They image well, and have a very natural warm sound. I have used one at Big Red Studio in Corbett Oregon. It's an EMI. You can adjust it a little bit.....try going to www.bigredstudio.com and emailing Billy Oskay. He may be able to point you to some recordings that are good examples done with plate reverb. Happy recording.

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Plate reverbs aren't that hard to build, if you're handy. One of my buddies built one, and it sounds really good. Storing/moving it is another matter.

DH
audio school graduate

Post by DH » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:56 pm

also the roland space echo set on on of the 2 reverb settings sounds great.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:45 pm

Oil can reverb. Look for the fender unit....
They are pretty awesome when working well, and they will give everyone in town cancer.... ;)

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:57 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Oil can reverb. Look for the fender unit....
They are pretty awesome when working well, and they will give everyone in town cancer.... ;)
Oh Yeah!

I used a Leslie with one of these things in it on a record once. Yummy!

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:34 am

theistheman wrote:Plate reverbs aren't that hard to build, if you're handy. One of my buddies built one, and it sounds really good. Storing/moving it is another matter.
I'm pretty sure someone posted a home-made plate a few months ago, a search may throw it up, otherwise i've definately seen them on the net so a google might do. I know it was a simple design and seemed to work effectively.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:07 am

What would you be willing to pay for a home made plate reverb unit 2x4? I wonder how something like this would compare to the original EMT units.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:41 am

Rigsby wrote:
theistheman wrote:Plate reverbs aren't that hard to build, if you're handy. One of my buddies built one, and it sounds really good. Storing/moving it is another matter.
I'm pretty sure someone posted a home-made plate a few months ago, a search may throw it up, otherwise i've definately seen them on the net so a google might do. I know it was a simple design and seemed to work effectively.
Google Giveth: (Knew I'd seen this before, but I UTFSF...)
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/ta ... /plate.php

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:50 am

So the size of the plate is essential huh? Would a 2' x 4' plate sound worse than a larger one? I'm guessing it would just have a shorter decay time. Anyone know how big the classic EMT plates were.

ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

Post by ludwigpatricia » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Isn't there a thorough Tapeop article describing all aspects of building a plate reverb?

rpowell
pluggin' in mics

Post by rpowell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Beneficial wrote:I've seen old tube driven spring reverb boxes out there, and plenty of old digital boxes, but were there any reverb units made that were based on analog circuitry? Is plate the destination of my quest?
Here's analog reverb for ya:

http://pages.ripco.net/~chisholm/rsdp/CHAMBER.TXT

RP

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:02 pm

cowtrax wrote:
Rigsby wrote:
Google Giveth: (Knew I'd seen this before, but I UTFSF...)
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/ta ... /plate.php
Yessss!
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:13 am

Why "NOT spring" ???

I use two spring 'verbs all the time. They are just rack mounted style, not a big BX20 or larger. I really like them. The AKG BX5 and the sound workshops (70's)spring are the two I picked.

Amazing what it can do for a vocal, especially layered with a little tape slap and some digital verb, all used with taste. Can be really good.

I think it really depends on how you use it, as even a chamber or a plate used in the wrong hands will suck. I swear.