Analog reverb that isn't spring?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
DH
audio school graduate

Re: Analog reverb that isn't spring?

Post by DH » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:43 pm

what do you think of the Master Room stereo ( 2channel) sring reverb? i have one that needs fixing. it doesn't pass signal not sure if i want to put money into it. ??

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:39 am

DH wrote:what do you think of the Master Room stereo ( 2channel) sring reverb? i have one that needs fixing. it doesn't pass signal not sure if i want to put money into it. ??
I like 'em - good if you like spring reverb.

One big trick I find is to eq the send to a spring reverb, to get it to resonate the way I want it to, not the way it wants to on it's own with a flat send. (i.e. to even out inherent resonances...)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

DH
audio school graduate

Post by DH » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:47 am

Interesting, it has a 3 band eq on each channel. i'll have to see if that's pre or post.[/quote]

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:44 am

DH wrote:what do you think of the Master Room stereo ( 2channel) sring reverb? i have one that needs fixing. it doesn't pass signal not sure if i want to put money into it. ??
I've got an XL305 that I picked up for $40. It was a little noisy so I dropped in a new opamp ($6?) and it's all quiet. I love the sound of this unit as it is not sproingy. Quite a long verb with good tone controls.

J7

The2and4
ass engineer

Keepin' the ol' tape machine a-rollin'

Post by The2and4 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Why "NOT spring" ???

Amazing what it can do for a vocal, especially layered with a little tape slap and some digital verb, all used with taste. Can be really good.
Hey now! I like the sound of this..

Any chance you would give a quick, general guideline for this technique?

With all of the varied possiblilities using these three effects together, It'd be a great to get a head-start by knowing how you go about it, Joel!