Guitar amplifier speaker impedence question.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Re: Guitar amplifier speaker impedence question.

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:55 am

Well man, Fender was known for tube amps years ago, when I started playing in the 60s everything was tubes. But now , after changing hands a few times, they are an entirely different company. One amongst many out there. Most of the stuff I see by them in music stores are mass produced solid state amps. I see a lot more Crate and what is called "off brand" stuff that are valve amps than I do fenders.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:00 am

SKEETER wrote:Well man, Fender was known for tube amps years ago, when I started playing in the 60s everything was tubes. But now , after changing hands a few times, they are an entirely different company. One amongst many out there. Most of the stuff I see by them in music stores are mass produced solid state amps. I see a lot more Crate and what is called "off brand" stuff that are valve amps than I do fenders.
True, the mass market is solid state, and Fender, like most other companies, sells a zillion more Squier-branded guitars than the "real" ones.

But next time you're in a full-sized music store, look for the "Blues Junior" or "Pro Junior" amps. And of course the reissued Twin Reverb.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:24 am

Actually, I live near a major city, and play there, and am in music stores regularly, both Sam Ash and Guitar Center are there, with other peripheral stores that are about half their size, and again, I see mostly fender solid state stuff. I don't really check out fender gear anymore, there is too much other stuff out there as good or better far cheaper. I traded a pre CBS tilt back bassman straight up for my Crate tube amp ( years ago, before the collectors market became absurd), because the crate blew it away. There is a local store that focuses mostly on name brand gear, mostly fender and Ibanez, that has a ton of fender amps. most of them are solid state, and quite expensive compared to other gear in their quality and feature range. When it comes to tube amps, short of hand wired special order gear, I prefere the Crates. I am a gigging and recording musician, so this is more than just a hobby with me, so I go for getting the sounds I need to function for what I do rather than collect name brand stuff. There was a day however.................

starfieldwild
audio school

Post by starfieldwild » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:16 pm

I've only been playing for about 8 years and i have a preference for Fender because of the clean tone i can get from their combo amps, I started with a couple of Marshall combos and learned that they are nice for playing driven crunch tone guitar (which is why its preferd by metal guitarists) but the clean tone just sucked badly on them, I also like some Peavey amps which are priced reasonably and some of their solid states can be quite loud...

This Deluxe is my first tube amp and i've needed a tube amp for awhile (to cut through when playing in a band setting) but the time and price was right and i traded in my 2 solid states, Fender Deluxe 90 and Peavey Bandit 112 transtube for the Hot Rod Dlxe. Eventually this may become my back up amp, as a friend of mine will be moving to nyc this summer and is going to leave behind his silver faced twin reverb as he wants to move w/ minimal stuff, and i'll probably buy it off of him.

I should try a Crate sometime...

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:23 pm

If you are into Fender, the silver face twins are definitly an example of when fender was at the top. I like some of the older fender stuff, but I use a wide variety of sounds. Fenders are great clean, and Marshalls are pretty much one trick poneys. They are ok if you like them, I like many other brands. I also like the newer solid state stuff, even the cheap stuff doesn;t sound fuzzy on the distortion like they did years ago. I think solid state has almost caught tube amps. If the world doesn't get blown to smithereens in the next few years, I expect to hear solid state amps that actually rival tube amps for smooth tone.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:48 am

Nothing for a clean sound like a Twin Reverb. My silverface Twin has that nice clean 70's sound. But actually a Roland Jazz Chorous (solid state!) is pretty damn nice for clean as well, and much cheaper.

Much as I love a Twin, those things are heavy. I'd rather use my Princeton just because I can carry it with one hand for more than a few feet.