Advise on outboard delay/reverb for under $350

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
BobbyRay
gettin' sounds

Advise on outboard delay/reverb for under $350

Post by BobbyRay » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:58 am

I need some verb and delay for my first project w/ a tsr-8.
I have a nanoverb that I used on my 4 track stuff. (must be a cheap processor cause it sounds like shit to me now)

I would like a user friendly type thing that I can figure out w/ out having to read the manual 3 or 4 times.

Used would be great or I can get a decent discount @ GC

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Re: Advise on outboard delay/reverb for under $350

Post by uqbar » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:43 am

I don't think these will be below $350, but you might want to check out new Kurzweil boxes, the Rumor and the Mangler - they could be in striking range of your price if you don't mind saving money a little longer:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=861
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/htm ... ngler.html

If you want to tap the full depth of Kurzweils stuff, you'll need to hit the manuals, but if you only want to do simple stuff they should be easy enough.

mark

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:10 am

I'd try a search on E-bay for something like the Yamaha SPX-90,,you'll find one in just about every studio,,says something for them 200-300 clameroos used
"tune that thing son"

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:50 pm

Going a little out of the box here...

Find a mid size room with hard walls - wood or concrete is good. Or maybe a nice staircase. Get a fairly sensitive microphone (or two) and a speaker and place them at different ends of your space. Play the tape and record all the wonderful reverberant sound on another channel.

With care you will get a better sound than a cheap reverb - or even an expensive one :-)

mark

scotsman
pluggin' in mics

Post by scotsman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:02 pm

t.c electronic M-One or M-OneXL, t.c. D-Two, t.c. M-300, Used Yamaha stuff like Rev-7 or SPX90.

Here's one for you, a rare-bird and a great reverb, but they go used for more like $400 or more, the Sony V77 stereo reveb, multi-effects. They are really really nice. Great sound, professional XLR I/O, two engine. Some programs remind one of a Lex PCM90/91. Not to be confused with the V55 piece of crap they made a few years back. Before the DRE-S777 sampling 'verb, the V77 was their top of the line.

If you see one of those for $350. or less, get it!
More is More!
Flying Scostman Productions
Boston, Mass
20 Years, over 60 LP credits

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:15 pm

In addition to the units listed above, I would add a couple of the Roland reverbs. The SRV-2000 is an oldy but goody, that can usually be had for $125 - 150 on eBay. The SRV-330 consistently gets rave reviews and goes for around $200 - 250.

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:01 pm

why not get a classic roland space echo? could probably find an re-201 for that amount. re-301 is even better but also probably more expensive. either one will have a hell of a lot more character than any lo-dollar digital stuff!

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:35 pm

What about the Alesis Ineko? I just picked one up for $75, new from Sam Ash. It's a pretty cool, basic box.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:14 am

Okay, here I go...

I absolutely hated the sound of the Yamaha SPX90/II I had. It was brittle and lifeless.

Roland Tape Echo--great for guitars and dreamy psychedelic vocals but with only a mono channel not much good for anything else (stereo overheads). Plus I don?t think the reverb is very good on its own.

What I do like:

DeltaLab Effectron II--I have an Effectron I, II, and the ADM512. Out of all of them I prefer, and use on almost every session, the Effectron II. It doesn't have reverb but it's a dream for splitting vocals. Although digital I have yet to find a good substitute for the same price. You can find one in the range of $75-$125. They?re out-of-production but worth the find.

My second engineer bought a Lexicon MPX500 and I've been using it quite a bit. It is a multi-effects unit so it has everything from reverbs and delays to flanges and choruses. It doesn't have the upgrade but considering how it already sounds I don't think I need it. The price of them right now is absurd for how good they sound. I've seen them go for about $250-$300 on eBay. I'm considering picking another one up or one with the upgrade so I can compare the two.

Considering I'm not a fan of outboard effects but if I do use anything I'll use the one's listed above. I do have a bunch of other rack effect units (ranging from tape-echo?s to digital) but they're collecting dust in my closet.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Mike Simmons
studio intern

Post by Mike Simmons » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:27 am

check this out:
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.p ... eadid=6030

maybe outside you price range but worth a listen.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:46 am

dunno where you live but you could try renting (or "renting" from a place like Guitar Center that takes returns within 30 days) to check out a range of units. For a few mixdowns back when I was running a g3 and couldn't get any software reverbs going, I rented a TC electronic M-One XL and thought it sounded awesome for the price. Also very easy to use.

Best,
--JES