Looking For Gobos

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
audioboy6
alignin' 24-trk

Looking For Gobos

Post by audioboy6 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:15 am

Hello

I'm in the process of putting together a studio in San Francisco and am in need of some Gobos for a project that is starting really soon. I'm looking for 4' X 7' or something around that size. I need 4 or 5 of them. I would also be interested in renting them. I should need them for about 2 or 3 months. I may be willing to pay for freight charges if I can't find them locally

thanks,

Jared

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Re: Looking For Gobos

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:45 am

You could try used office dividers. Federal auctions, or excess school supply sales sometimes have these. I got a lot for very cheap, and they are good for keeping the high end bleed out. They are usually around the sizes you are looking to get. Well, just a thought.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:51 am

And, each one has a built-in powerstrip!

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:41 am

YES!! Check out offices, office supply places that sell or rent furniture, auction houses ect... You can get the old ones from then seventies (orange, brown, yellow, green) really cheap. I actually found two in an alley by a dumpster. If you go the government office route you have to deal with a bunch of redtape because a lot of times they cant just sell them to you, the sale would have to be approved with the higher powers. You have to go through a huge ordeal. Check local banks, law offices ect. A local business can just sell or most times give them to you if you get rid of them for them. An hour on the phone will produce great results. While you are at it, call all the radio stations in your area and buy all their old analog gear, a friend got a bunch of old ATR 102's and Valley People comps for free!
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:51 am

Jared,

> am in need of some Gobos for a project that is starting really soon. I'm looking for 4' X 7' or something around that size. <

My company sells both blocking and absorbing gobos. They're four feet wide and come either four or six feet high. Here's a link to our Products page:

www.realtraps.com/products.htm

Scroll most of the way down the page and you'll see some photos and a description.

--Ethan

audioboy6
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audioboy6 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:02 am

Thanks to all that responded. I have found some.

Office dividers are such a great idea. I used to use those when I was broke. The boss doesn't seem to think they are a good idea though.

oobedoob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by oobedoob » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:26 am

There's a huge used office furniture store by the SJ airport, with a wide range of disgusting to almost-new cubicle walls just waiting for new homes in recording studios....
"Revolution is not a dinner party." -Sun Yat-Sen