choosing an older analog board....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
pk
buyin' gear

Re: choosing an older analog board....

Post by pk » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:34 pm

Substrated wrote:I have a 32ch Ghost that I've been trying to sell. 32ch w/ mach ctrl, meter bridge and stand. If your intrested contact me. In Seattle

substrationsound@hotmail.com

Jason
I think it would be way out of my range, though as much as I would like a cool, older board, I would take a Ghost in a wink!
Thanks anyway..

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:48 pm

Im doing a job right now on at a place that has a tascam console, I dont know the model number, its an 8 buss, has 8 buss vu's, LR main vu's and wood sides in a moderately sized tabletop package, think its a 24 channel board. Thing sounds awesome for what it is, Id chose one of those over a ghost just because its sooo much simpler design wise, which adds up to your signal running through a bunch less useless shit. Plus, it sounds really cool. Either that or Im just being nostalgic about growing up with tascam. Its a cool sounding board and the EQ is nice, you turn it and it doesnt make the sound worse. I have no clue what one of those would sell for, but if you could find that console for under say $800, you'd be so stylin.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:39 pm

Hey Soundguy,

In case you are interested here is a link to the Tascam forum which shows pic's of some of the big tascam consoles. I'd love to hear which one your using since I just got one of these myself.

http://www.vaporpark.com/invboard/index ... ig+console
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:49 am

hey pk just noticed this not too far from you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:40 am

'I dont know the model number, its an 8 buss, has 8 buss vu's, LR main vu's and wood sides in a moderately sized tabletop package, think its a 24 channel board.'

sounds like an M520...

Mike

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:16 am

crashsick wrote:hey pk just noticed this not too far from you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
Hey thanks for the link. Nice fucking board that is, but way too big for my needs, and more importantly, my space!

I've looked at a few Tascam boards lately, they did make some nice stuff and all I could do was search various forums to see what people are saying about them. A big caveat with the M50/512/520 is that they have rca connections on the back, which can put some people off, but they apparently have a great sound, kinda dark but full. There's the M600 which is also a killer looking board and probably their flasgship model at the time. I'm definitly open to Tascam if the right one pops up.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:14 am

I guess its a 320.

now go drive the price up becuase I said on the internet it was good.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:02 am

Doublehelix wrote:So barring taking a picture of the fader/knob layout for each song, I am going to need to mix it once, and move one...which actually could be a good thing!!!
What you need to do in a situation like this is create a "Recall Sheet". It's not a bad idea to have one for any equipment you have. Of course, if you're just working on your own little projects and not trying to make a full record, it may not be totally necessary, but if you're EVER going to want to go back (or someone else might want to redo later in another studio), it's nice to have. It's not always exact- it's not like total recall or anything- but it gives you a starting point for where you had your settings on your vocal compressor, what frequency you were boosting or cutting on the guitar channel, by how many dB's, where your faders were, etc.

You pretty much want to document all this stuff once you print your mix. That is unless, of course, you don't care. But if you do, you may want to have them handy. when you print your mix, do a backup do DVD or CD or whatever (actually, do two), and pop it in a large envelope with your mix docs. Keep 'em safe.

This is an example recall sheet:
Mackie 1604

So you just basically have a graphic layout of your gear and pencil in where your knobs were, what channel it was on, what was going into that channel, where it's going out to (including processing i.e. from vocal SM57 -> RNC and /or to Alesis Bitrman ->cubase, roughly). Now you can at least go back if, for example, you printed a great mix but now listening to the whole record you realize you could stand to bring the guitars up a little, etc.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:45 am

What you need to do in a situation like this is create a "Recall Sheet".
Thanks for that. I have some that I use already for outboard analog gear, and I guess it is time to make a big one for the mixer as well, at least if I plan on mixing outside the box. Up until now, everything has been done ITB, and I have only needed to document the outboard gear.

There is a lot of knobs on a Project 8 32:8 mixer!!! That is a lot of writing! And then of course, as you make changes, you need to go back and verify and/or change every setting.

Where is my assistant??? Oh, that's right, I don't have one! (Actually, my 15 year old son does a pretty good job)
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:53 am

I think you're on the right track with those mixers. I have been mixing through a Soundcraft FX16 board from my Alesis HD24 24-track recorder. The FX16 is a 16-channel board with built in Lexicon effects which I'm pretty pleased with the quality of sound. If only Soundcraft had an automated 24-channel version of the FX16...
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:54 am

I think you're on the right track with those mixers. I have been mixing through a Soundcraft FX16 board from my Alesis HD24 24-track recorder. The FX16 is a 16-channel board with built in Lexicon effects which I'm pretty pleased with the quality of sound. If only Soundcraft had an automated 24-channel version of the FX16...
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395