Looking for a nice vocal compressor

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Looking for a nice vocal compressor

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:53 pm

If I could only have one compressor it would be a 33609.

If I didnt have the money for that, I would get a DBX160A. Seriously.

Those are the un-sexiest, least fun, most versatile compressors for under 350 dollars ever. They are the ONLY thing in that price range that you will see on the gear list of every single decent studio on the planet (or a 160X or XT). The A is a little cleaner than the X or XT ( I have owned and operated all of the revisions, and i only have a few A's and one x now).

I always forget to suggest these when people ask what 1U compressor for cheap is awesome: DBX160A. Clean, utility compression for anything. Anyting that needs compression will work through one of these. I had a pair of 160's, a BX20 spring reverb, a 16trk 2" and a console back in the day. I made like 10 full length albums, and umpteen 7" 's and demos using ONLY that setup. mixing to DAT or 1/2". 160's can be really good.

Everyone should have one.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:25 pm

Right on Joel. I don't have the cash to get a really high end compressor, but I do love my dbx units. I have a pair of the 160x units that I've picked up for dirt cheap. They go very well with the RNC's, mxr dual limiter, art pro vla, alesis micro limiter and oh yeah, my recent pickup of a dbx 165. Now if I could just score an 1176 for under $500 I'd be set.....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

t morgan
audio school

Post by t morgan » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:07 pm

an 1176 is amazing, but i think the new ones are a complete dissapointment.
i've using a urei bl-40 the last couple of days and love it...it ads a good grit and soul.
also an adl 1000 is nice for vocals, you can find them for used about $800

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:43 pm

glad you mentioned the 160a . I just bought two for 400 dollars.