The Guitar Center in Manhattan

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Milkmansound
george martin

The Guitar Center in Manhattan

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:36 pm

ok - so I was down in the cuty for a few days and I wound up across the street from this place and decided to jump on in. First of all - there is some seriously high end shit in there! Like some huge 70 thousand dollar trident console, a huge Soundcraft live mixer, a blue mic with the complete capsule set, and the full line of Dengerous stuff, and a used U47... But everything was super expensive, and I was wondering who the hell buys a U47 at GC? Even more importantly - who the fuck sold it to them!?!?!?

Wandering around the keyboard section was a disappointment. There was hardly any used gear, and it was dark and hot and boring compared to the other GC's I have been to. There was a Rhodes with the worst action I have ever felt, and there was not one employee in sight to condesend to me.

Fuck that place. I expect more from what must be one of their flagship stores.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Re: The Guitar Center in Manhattan

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:54 pm

It's actually pretty new, so I'm not sure it would be a flagship store. The only thing going for it, is that I can buy a set of strings from them after work; since most music stores in the city are closed by 8pm or earlier, and they are open until 10pm.

But seriously, yeah, fuck that place. You could always go to the keyboard shop on 48th, if you want to see some synths.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, it IS the largest GC in the country...you'd expect a little more, maybe. But then, it's GC. So never mind.

Check out Two Lines on Broadway and White, a few blocks south of Canal. They usually have some cool keyboards floating around.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:07 pm

U47 at GC? I dont know, I saw a 54 tele at the local Albany one for like $12k once
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:09 pm

thunderboy wrote:Check out Two Lines on Broadway and White, a few blocks south of Canal. They usually have some cool keyboards floating around.
I second this. http://www.twolinesmusic.com/welcomeTLM.html
I think the owner used to do tech work and mods for some pretty big names in the 80s. I forget his name.

starfieldwild
audio school

Post by starfieldwild » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:13 pm

I really have not much good to say about Guitar Center its like walking into a car dealership and the salesman trying to sell you whatever, they generally carry a wide selection of gear at reasonable prices but they offer little to none servicing, have pretty unknowledgble staff, and are the "big fish" that eat up all the "little fish"... its the little fish that i find are more people oriented and can give you what you want.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:27 pm

space_ryerson wrote: You could always go to the keyboard shop on 48th, if you want to see some synths.
nice - that'll be stop number 1 when I am back down there in march.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:28 pm

I cant really complain about my local GC..they are better than the local sam ash..there is only one or two smaller shops and they are never open..and geared more toward school rentals and always have been..im glad the opened up a store near me actually..never been to the 14th st one so far..drive by all the time though..

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:52 pm

Rogue Music is the best place for keys I've found in Manhattan.... that and Dr. Sounds.

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:58 pm

aishabag23 wrote:Rogue Music is the best place for keys I've found in Manhattan.... that and Dr. Sounds.
Yep I got my TASCAM MX2424 from rogue.
Great deal, too.
Bill~~~

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:04 pm

nice - keep em coming. I wanna have an all synth weekend, NYC style. Maybe one of you all wants to take me on a synth tour. Lunch is on me.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:47 pm

Family Hoof wrote:
thunderboy wrote:Check out Two Lines on Broadway and White, a few blocks south of Canal. They usually have some cool keyboards floating around.
I second this. http://www.twolinesmusic.com/welcomeTLM.html
I think the owner used to do tech work and mods for some pretty big names in the 80s. I forget his name.
Two lines is my favorite music store ever...there aren't too many places where you walk in and are greeted by an emu modular and mellotron. They always have tons of cool stuff and they're pretty cool with letting you tinker around with even the expensive stuff. Check it out for sure.
They are pretty reasonable for repairs too. The owner/tech guy has been doing this stuff for a long time and they have a really quick turnaround.

Rogue comes pretty well recommended, but I've avoided it because some really annoying repair issues. However, that was when Armen did the repairs there, so my experience says nothing about Rogue now.

If you are ever thinking about going to Armen's shop on the other hand (if he still has it), PM me.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:54 pm

Milkmansound wrote:nice - keep em coming. I wanna have an all synth weekend, NYC style. Maybe one of you all wants to take me on a synth tour. Lunch is on me.
I would say Rogue, Two Lines, and Dr. Sounds for the old stuff and 48th St @ 7AV for the new stuff pretty much covers it. Buy a Funpass metrocard and enjoy your weekend, Milkman!

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and you absolutely must visit the Museum of Sound Recording in Queens while you're hear. They have some monster synths.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:16 pm

maybe we should put together a synth weekend or something in NYC next month. I will be down there around the 30th I think, and would love to play around with some expensive stuff that I have no plans to buy. After all, thats one of the huge reasons we get into music tech to begin with, right? You know I was poking around at that Trident Console and with the LA-2A's and shit even though they were not even hooked up. It was not up to me, they needed to be poked and turned and pressed.

I still have $8 left on my metrocard from this past weekend - I wanna blow it all on synth! To me that spells funpass.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:20 pm

Family Hoof wrote: [EDIT] Oh yeah, and you absolutely must visit the Museum of Sound Recording in Queens while you're hear. They have some monster synths.
The links don't work to the home site. I actually bought my board about 4 months ago from one of those guys. He had a bunch of the stuff from the museum in his garage. At the time, he said they were trying to work out a space in Williamsburg. Does anyone know if that happened or if the queens location is still around? I'd love to check it out too.