commercials are loud.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Re: commercials are loud.

Post by Ian » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:04 pm

We have a one year old who goes to bed at 8:30, we have a small house so the kids room ain't far from the TV. I have tried to ride the volume between the commercials and the program, but it's tough. The worst is on movies, dialog seems to be less important these days than the SFX or soundtrack. I try to anticipate the action, but can't count how many times Daddy is a little late and has to go in and rock her back to sleep. I was just thinking about rigging up a limiter to the set. Not looking forward to hooking up even more cable to that rats nest.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 pm

Devlars wrote:I second the question MT had: any limiter at all or a particular model for this device?
I have never done it, but heard people doing it without a problem (like Brian Brock said). I know PAIA used to make a Hi-Fi compressor meant to be used with your home entertainment system for just this purpose, but after looking for it now I can't find it.

o well. I am sure that just about any compressor would work. Buy one of the little Alesis Nanocompressors on eBay for cheap and give it a go.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:10 pm

I suppose you're right nlmd311, as long as the connections are compatible it's all just sound running through a compressor/limiter. I'll have to use my RNC for this purpose as a test before making a purchase.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:20 pm

I love how people now make commercials without any sound so you are like, "WTF? Did my TV break?"

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:25 pm

yeah, I've been telling myself to do this for a few years now. I've got the same "small house" problem too. Kudos to those of you that actually did something about it. I'm inspired!
lfg

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:25 pm

Out here in LA there is this indie UHF station (KDOC 56) that just runs old shows like Perry Mason, The A-Team, Simon & Simon, Matlock, Saved By The Bell, Night Rider, etc. and their commercials are always F'd up sometimes there Super Loud and distorted sometimes their out of phase, but they seriouslly have a staff of like 5 people so what do you expect.

http://www.kdoctv.net/

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:27 pm

I don't know if I am alone on this, but I remember some tv sets that came out in the early-mid 90's that had some type of V-chip like thing built in that just muted the channel when commercials came on. This topic just reminded me of that. I tried looking up information on it, but all I could find was this:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/technolog ... &cset=true
unrelated, but, it is something.

I remember there being some type of controversy at the time because advertising companies felt that this was an unfair way to kill off their industry. ? Something along those lines. That combined with poor sales lead to the sets only being on the market for a short time.
Anyone remember that. ?
I was young, so I may be really off on my facts.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:36 pm

Brian Brock wrote:
MT wrote:
soundguy wrote:Put a limiter on your tv.
Anyone here currently putting one to use in this fashion (what make/model?) or am I going to have to UTFSF?

MT
The movie Jackie Brown has really loud music and much quieter talking, so I ran an RNC between the VCR and the TV and it was AOK - any unbalanced compressor/limiter should do the trick.
That's what I've been looking for. The level differences seem to be getting more dramatic or I'm just paying more attention to them. RNC here I come.
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

oobedoob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by oobedoob » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:24 am

afaik it's actually illegal to have the commercials louder.

make a complaint to the FCC? They make it easy. Everyone is doing it....

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html
"Revolution is not a dinner party." -Sun Yat-Sen

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:50 am

oobedoob wrote:afaik it's actually illegal to have the commercials louder.

make a complaint to the FCC? They make it easy. Everyone is doing it....

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html
Oobedoob is correct... but I don't think it's ever been paid much attention too.

Also, magnavox marketed sets for a while (I think it was earlier than the 90s, I'm thinking more 80s) that allegedly controlled the volume.

My problem is that to use a compressor/limiter, I'd have to have a TV newer than 1988. I don't have the connections.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:24 am

I think its the program people's faults. I work in commercials and we have a standard level and will even get rejected when we send them out if they are too loud. The programs aren't using the same standards or not "mastering"/compressing, like the commercials are, and when the spots come on it seems to be so much louder. I've read about Fox's problems with audio since they started HD. Aparently you can't have good audio with good video.

I hate this situation, cause people are like oooh, you work in commercials.. yuck, because things like this annoy the public. The TV stations need figure out what the problem is and fix it, its not the people who make the spots.
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:27 am

Commercials are not loud, they are just compressed to the max. When a sitcom is on, the sounds in the show are at various volume levels, occationally peaking out. With commercials they compress everything to the ceiling, making them seem louder because everything is at peak all the time. They are not really louder, they just have no dynamics.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:29 am

BTW If it were not for remotes with mute buttons, I would not even bother with TV. I don't listen to commercials, either on TV or radio. Got enough garbage that makes it into my head.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:36 pm

Alesis Nanocomp (cheap) between the TV and an entertainment system, or between the cable box and the TV.

That's what I did. I no longer have cable (nothing to watch and way too much advertising) and I have a Nanocomp between my DVD player and my entertainment system for my movies.

Sounds great, no more freaking ear-splitting dynamics.

Hollywood, get a clue! Those of us with little kids or who live in multiple dwellings don't have the luxury of exploiting the unearthly dynamics of DVDs and TV. There's a lot of us out there.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:21 pm

Interesting you should say that about commercials on cable. I was in the test area when Warner first test marketed Warner Qube. It was the first cable with a box, before that all cable went right into the television. One of the features that Qube touted was pay TV, comercial free broadcasting. As soon as Pay TV started running commericails I got rid of it, and have had it once since. When I got it the second time, I ended up with a couple of things I liked and a lot of crap I was paying for but had no interest in. Next time I will get a big ugly dish and be able to order exactly only the channels I want.