the 7 1/2 minute epic

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

the 7 1/2 minute epic

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:25 pm

I'm mixing one of these right now. Classic case. The mix that ate every fader on the console!!!! AAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!

Honestly, a disc with 11 songs and there are 2 others over 6 minutes in length. Nice on the one hand because of the depth beyond the usual 3 parts of a pop song. Something sort of Who-esque or Phish-like about these tunes too.

I've seen this happen before too. As you try and define each section of the song during the mix, it's always another couple of faders for this...even with 48 channels, this mixing in the box is sort of running it's course. Didn't anticipate this when I began this project.

Anybody else dealing with this kind of thing?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Re: the 7 1/2 minute epic

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:33 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:AAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!
haha.
sounds like fun. :lol:

Is this for the album, or project you were working on of your own music?

Are you automating this?
How many passes have you/are you making?

When you say you didn't anticipate it in the beginning, is that because you ended up adding more parts than you originally had in mind/on paper, or is it because the mix just turned into a monster you didn't expect to be dealing with in general?

have fun with it.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:42 pm

I get to deal with lots of 15-minute jazz odyssey recordings. Occasionally I also have tracks that suck up 30, 40, or more channels across the console, though I've still not had to hit all 64 outputs from PT yet, but the studio is young. Fortunately it is pretty rare that the 15-minute magnum opus also happens to have a high track count.

-J

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jpmorris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:56 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:I'm mixing one of these right now. Classic case. The mix that ate every fader on the console!!!! AAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!

I've recently finished mixing my own album. The final track is 13 minutes long and was a total bitch to mix, since it was all done 8-track on tape and lots of tracks had to be reused for different purposes, and had different levels..

About a fortnight ago, I came home every night and tried to mix it again, listening to the result at work the following day. I think I've got it pretty much
down pat now.

Is there an 8-track analogue console that supports automation? It would make my life a hell of a lot easier..

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:01 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:or Phish-like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:53 am

jpmorris wrote: Is there an 8-track analogue console that supports automation? It would make my life a hell of a lot easier..
Have you tried mixing in sections and editing the sections together? Works wonders on a tough mix.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:10 am

you're mixing the band classic case??

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:22 am

I had a nine minute tune for the record i'm putting together, 74 tracks, but i got bored with it, too fussy. I actually scrapped nine months of work around 6 weeks ago and only saved one of the tunes, i now have eight tunes more or less written and half recorded, but i'm going for a simpler route, less is more to me right now (though still a fair bit of percussion). One of the new tunes clocks in around eight minutes, but that's with plenty of improvisation going on, i guess there are actually quite a few tracks on that, but it doesn't sound or feel so much like it.. 2 cellos, double bass, piano, 14 violins (section), oud and percussion. The violins i mixed to stereo already and that's the biggest part of the track count. I appreciate it's different if it's not your own material but i'm currently refusing to do anything that's going to get me pissed off with a tune as that'll colour my feeling towards it and ruin it for me, after all i am going to be the first listener.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:22 am

Check out my band man..its a cross between the Who and Phish..we get really stoned and mellow then destroy our instruments and light fires on stage in a relaxed laid back kind of way..LOL!..a cross between the Who and Phish just sounds funny to me..even in the songwriting sense..

good luck with it I'm sure you will sort it out..

I myself rarely record over 6 tracks at a time..and rarely mix more than 16..

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jpmorris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:47 am

junkshop wrote:
jpmorris wrote: Is there an 8-track analogue console that supports automation? It would make my life a hell of a lot easier..
Have you tried mixing in sections and editing the sections together? Works wonders on a tough mix.
I did wonder about that, but I don't trust myself to do that with this particular song.
It doesn't really have any gaps, and I don't think I can easily join two parts together without an audible effect.
(Perhaps that is what Genesis did in 'Supper's Ready', which is 23 minutes long and briefly goes out of tune during one of the transitions at about 14:14).

For reference, here's an earlier mix I did in November:
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:50 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:I'm mixing one of these right now. Classic case. The mix that ate every fader on the console!!!! AAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!

Honestly, a disc with 11 songs and there are 2 others over 6 minutes in length. Nice on the one hand because of the depth beyond the usual 3 parts of a pop song. Something sort of Who-esque or Phish-like about these tunes too.

I've seen this happen before too. As you try and define each section of the song during the mix, it's always another couple of faders for this...even with 48 channels, this mixing in the box is sort of running it's course. Didn't anticipate this when I began this project.

"If you go past three three minute mark a loaded gun should be pointed at your head." Joe Strummer.
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:04 am

Stephen wrote:["If you go past three three minute mark a loaded gun should be pointed at your head." Joe Strummer.
thats got to be the most stupid thing i've ever heard besides Joe Strummer's solo records..all jokes aside it really is plain ignorant..

Jeff Wobblybottom
audio school graduate

Post by Jeff Wobblybottom » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:06 am

Man, yo should try mixing a horse with a little boy pig.. back home that shit was sweet. One night i mixed my sweet self with a rabbit and that's how Bobby was born. Damn straight. His mother didn't survive the birth though. God damn, moma's in heaven now Bobby.
Minor Talent, Major Ego
www.$35records.com

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:10 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:
Stephen wrote:["If you go past three three minute mark a loaded gun should be pointed at your head." Joe Strummer.
thats got to be the most stupid thing i've ever heard besides Joe Strummer's solo records..all jokes aside it really is plain ignorant..
Unless you like song lengths that aren't a punishment. And most artists can barely come up with enough ideas to sustain two minutes let alone seven. Yeah, self indulgence rocks.
Joe Strummer was so right on.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:19 am

nlmd311 wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:AAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!
haha.
sounds like fun. :lol:

Is this for the album, or project you were working on of your own music?

Are you automating this?
How many passes have you/are you making?

When you say you didn't anticipate it in the beginning, is that because you ended up adding more parts than you originally had in mind/on paper, or is it because the mix just turned into a monster you didn't expect to be dealing with in general?

have fun with it.

-Darrill
Automation is done in Pro Tools. Digital compression has made .2 db rides necessary on much.

The band has several songs that were longer. Not having produced any longer tunes in the past, I went along with the idea and was keen to just sort of let these be what they are. There are enough other more immediate pop tunes in this collection.

This is an independent band and I am producing, recording and mixing it. It will be released and distributed by Third Monk Records.