TM-D1000 recording to cubase

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
billyzero
audio school

TM-D1000 recording to cubase

Post by billyzero » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:46 pm

A friend of mine just picked up a Tascam TM-D1000. I guess he got a real good deal on it. I found a tutorial on it on the web, but it says nothing about interfacing with a PC (via TDIF?). We are hoping to use it to multitrack to Cubase. Is this possible? My thoughts are that he should have gone for some sort of DAW (albeit a pricier option). Any thoughts/advice on using this digital board for simultaineous multitracking (8 tracks?) to a PC?
Thanks in advance to you kind folks,
Bill
the future is unwritten

cvanwinkle
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: TM-D1000 recording to cubase

Post by cvanwinkle » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:57 pm

I'm not too familiar with Cubase, but to use the TDIF In/Out of the console you need something that can recognize that protocol. What sort of inputs are going into the Cubase rig? If you have AES/EBU, you need a spiffy little box called the IF-AE8 HR. If you're using lightpipe, you can get the IF-TAD (both by Tascam). Or you can get a MOTU 2408mk3.

-C
Last edited by cvanwinkle on Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:52 am

i did do a transfer from da 38 to cubase
(probably rube goldbergish but see if you get something out of it)
if you dont have a tdif card you can rent one of the motu all-to-all box
setup the tdif to lightpipe (or audio - the motus have everything)
if you chose audio then sync is lost, so i setup a sync from the da sync output (config'ed to smpte)
i used a motu micro express to bring the sync into cubase
worked like a charm
i actualy did 24 tracks off 3 tapes - one tape at a time to create
24 tracks of audio goodness all in sync

if you are not using tape - i am not sure how the sync loss applies to you

the point is sync/clock info may be lost in the translation - you may have to hook up word clock

hope it helps

billyzero
audio school

Post by billyzero » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:27 am

okay. we're talkin' novice here, so please bear with me: the computer I'll be using to record this band (my first) has a LAYLA, 8 in/outs, I think. But since the TM-D1000 already does the A/D conversion would I still need to use the LAYLA since we're talking about transfer of digital data? BTW, the multi-tracking is mainly for the drums, everything else will be recorded solo.
My friend also wants to use it with his home PC. I guess in order to remain in the digital realm, the question: is there a way to transfer everything digitally? I guess I should find out more about the sound cards in question, ie. do they have digital ins? Oh, yeah and then there is that whole thing about word clock.......
Bill
the future is unwritten

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:42 am

unless there is some reason you prefer the tascam converters
you can skip the tascam and hook the audio directly to the layla

the echo control software can be used as a "virtual mixer" for adjusting levels and monitoring

also
you can use the tascam as a submixer and send the ANALOG master outs to the LAYLA

i cant remember if that model has direct outs - by using those you can use the tascam pre-amps

the main point is
if you already have a layla - the tascam a to d conversion is redundant
think of the layla as a mixer in the pc - the only thing you dont have is pre-amps and touchy feely faders.
so use the tascam for pre-amps only and send the analog audio from the tascam to the layla

jerfo
pluggin' in mics

Post by jerfo » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:02 am

I own a TM-D1000, so I might be able to offer some assistance. A stock TM-D1000 without any add-ons can't handle analog direct outs of channels 1-8 simultaneously. You can send a submix of channels 1-8 through Aux busses 1-4, and then you can send the analog output from those busses into your PC. However, that's not exactly what you're asking to do.

In order to output eight simultaneous channels of audio from the TM-D1000 into your PC, you have two options:

1. Tascam made a TDIF-to-analog converter called the IF-DA8-8. This would take the digital output from the first eight tracks on your board and convert them to analog, which you could then feed into your PC. I've never used this, so I can't vouch for the quality of the converters or its ease of use.

2. Tascam makes a TDIF-to-ADAT lightpipe converter (IF-TAD) that I use. This allows me to feed the output from the first eight channels of the TM-D1000 directly into my system's sound card, which has ADAT lightpipe inputs and outputs; all that I need to do is select the track and hit the "direct out" button. (FYI, the card is a ProTools LE card.) If your LAYLA card supports lightpipe, then this is a very viable option. The IF-TAD interface is fairly inexpensive and is relatively simple to set up.

I hope that this helps.

- Jerfo
Jerfo.com Studio - http://jerfocom.blogspot.com

billyzero
audio school

Post by billyzero » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:39 pm

Thanks. Y'all rock. I at least have a starting point now. I'll share this with the band I'm to record (it's their gear). I'll probably be gettin' back with more questions in the future seein' how this is my first recording "gig". Hey, Jerfo, how do you like that TM-D1000? Even though my friend bought it, I will have to learn how to use it (found a tutorial at recordingeq.com ) and may be advising him on it's usage, since I have been becoming a tech geek as of late (no, really, I actually enjoy reading about this stuff).
Thanks again everbody,
Bill
the future is unwritten

jerfo
pluggin' in mics

Post by jerfo » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:46 am

billyzero wrote:Hey, Jerfo, how do you like that TM-D1000?
As with most things in life, there are things that I like about it and things that I don't like about it. On the plus side, it gives you lots of flexibility with digital input and output, the internal effects are nice, the EQ is usable and moderately flexible, and it fits nicely in a 19" rack. On the other hand, the mic pres are poor, and it has reliability issues. My master fader stopped working one day, while my bandmate's board suddenly forgot how to route channels 5 and 6 properly. All in all, it's a good board for learning about analog mixing concepts (e.g. bussing) while also being able to play around with internal effects and decent a/d converters.

- Jerfo
Jerfo.com Studio - http://jerfocom.blogspot.com