Recording DRUMS with LESS HI-HAT please....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Recording DRUMS with LESS HI-HAT please....

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:53 pm

The real answer is in the playing on this topic I'm afraid.

I also find smaller hats to stick out more. I hat 13" hats with a paddion. I've got a set of 15" light hats that are great for recording.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:11 pm

I have been using an Oktava Ribbon mic as a room mic andthat has been sounding really good. I usually about 5 feet in front of the kit and about 3 ft from the ground. That gets the whole kit in pretty well.

Maybe instead of doing overheads you could try puting the mics near the ground pointing up towards the kit. Maybe placed on each side of the room mic...

Did you try pointing the mics towards the drummer from behind the kit? You will most likely get more drums and less cymbals.

Try putting a low pass filter on it at about 10-12K or just take out some hi's at 10-12k

experiment with compression.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:33 pm

I don't record a whole lot with bands. Every time I have over the years, I have had great experiences.... until recently... I had a horrible experience recording a teenage drummer and, in the end, chalk it up to his inability to play well and his lousy kit. I never realized what a nightmare drum recording could be (it was primarily cymbal problems - too loud, too overbearing) until this kid entered my life. I'm gonna agree with drumsound on this one.