Black Lion Site it back up and running

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Black Lion Site it back up and running

Post by lifeintime » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:54 am

This is good news. I think I'll get a couple ebay 3630's now.

For what it's worth....

I pullled the 12AX7's out of my Bellari and showed them to my 19 year old son. He had no clue what they were...

Shit!!!! Well it was up and running ast night anyway.
Last edited by lifeintime on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Re: Black Lion Site it back up and running

Post by mrc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:53 am

Yeah, I was able to get in last week. It convinced me to try the Bellari RP503 mod. They were going for $140 + $20.00 shipping on ebay, so I got a new one from Wife's Enemy for $199, free shipping. So far I have the opamps swapped out, and while I'm waiting for the Telefunken 12AU7 to come in the mail, I swapped out the stock Sovtek 12AX7WXT+ for a Plain Jane Made in US 12AX7 that's been in my vibrolux for decades, and man what a difference. I'm definitely going to do the 3630 mod after the Bellari. The difference in the unit was night and day, even without the forth coming Telefunken, it is a more than serviceable channel strip, dirt cheap. Amazing!
mrc

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:49 am

mrc wrote:Yeah, I was able to get in last week. It convinced me to try the Bellari RP503 mod. They were going for $140 + $20.00 shipping on ebay, so I got a new one from Wife's Enemy for $199, free shipping. So far I have the opamps swapped out, and while I'm waiting for the Telefunken 12AU7 to come in the mail, I swapped out the stock Sovtek 12AX7WXT+ for a Plain Jane Made in US 12AX7 that's been in my vibrolux for decades, and man what a difference. I'm definitely going to do the 3630 mod after the Bellari. The difference in the unit was night and day, even without the forth coming Telefunken, it is a more than serviceable channel strip, dirt cheap. Amazing!
mrc
My 220 had "Made in China" on the 12AX7's. Looking at the Telefunken tubes myself.
What? No Gravy???

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:14 pm

LifeInTime, I haven't read anything about your Bellari RP-220 mods yet, but I have a great suggestion to all! I read a review long ago saying one of the few things that bothered the reviewer about this unit was that the red "power" LED indicator was positioned directly after the right chanel LED meter. Not good because it is confusing (looks like you're "in the red" all the time. Well, I replaced that single red LED with a water clear BLUE ultra bright LED and WOW!! What a nice upgrade this is in terms of looks (if you're into that). This mod makes for much clearer readings on the meter and added some class to it as well. Happy modding. :wink:
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:33 pm

Well, I replaced that single red LED with a water clear BLUE ultra bright LED and WOW!! What a nice upgrade this is in terms of looks (if you're into that). This mod makes for much clearer readings on the meter and added some class to it as well.
Hey...I like that idea. Do you mind if I add it to the mod on the website? I'll give you credit for the idea, of course.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:52 pm

Thanks! Sure, go ahead.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:00 pm

hey puff...

ever get a good thing going with those art MPs.. someone has one for $35... noticed the art MP aint on the site no more.

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:41 pm

Hey Guys,

I just bought a like new Bellari RP503. I very interested in the Black Lion Mod. I check the site and read the instructions, but, I have no idea where to buy/get the parts. Where would one find an OP275 and/or a Burr-Brown OPA2604? Where did you guys get yours?

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:15 pm

I usually just buy them from Matt off the black lion site. He is the only distributor that will sell in quantities of 2. Just email him - I think he has every opamp under the sun.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:06 pm

I didn't see any opamps or tubes listed, so I got the opamps from DigiKey, and the Telefunkens from WWW.Audiotubes.com though I'd bought from Black Lion if they'd had them listed. But thanks for the great mod!
mrc

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:24 pm

You can get the opamps directly from the manufacturer's websites--www.ti.com for the OPA2604, and www.analog.com for the OP275.

I don't offer the PDF for the Tube MP mod anymore. The information contained therein was sold to a certain manufacturer.

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:42 am

Derrick wrote:LifeInTime, I haven't read anything about your Bellari RP-220 mods yet, but I have a great suggestion to all! I read a review long ago saying one of the few things that bothered the reviewer about this unit was that the red "power" LED indicator was positioned directly after the right chanel LED meter. Not good because it is confusing (looks like you're "in the red" all the time. Well, I replaced that single red LED with a water clear BLUE ultra bright LED and WOW!! What a nice upgrade this is in terms of looks (if you're into that). This mod makes for much clearer readings on the meter and added some class to it as well. Happy modding. :wink:
Great Idea, especially the clear blue part. Thanks!
What? No Gravy???

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:20 am

puffpastry wrote:

I don't offer the PDF for the Tube MP mod anymore. The information contained therein was sold to a certain manufacturer.
ha ha! sweet. i hope you got like $100,000 from ART that would be sweet... say no more... lets just pretend that that is the figure.

the 2604 rocks as a 4560 replacement by the way. cool lo-fi ish hi fi kinda op amp. i ended up going with those for my symetrix.

by they way, can we all please SHUT UP about the bellari stuff. think of ebay.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:41 pm

I got the Telefunken for the 503. Yes, they make a difference :worthy: