Analog mixer users - what do you 2-track to?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
chrispnyc
audio school graduate

Analog mixer users - what do you 2-track to?

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:25 am

I use Digital Performer as my Daw. DP outputs individual tracks via my 1224's to my analog desk. Then I reroute the stereo master back into DP for the final mix.

I'm wondering what other people mixdown to. Do you do the same? If so, do you have dedicated converters for the process? Or do you go to tape? Or a Masterlink kind of situation.

chris
http://www.myspace.com/chrisprang
G4 1.3
DP 4.61
Live 5.0.3
Soundcraft Spirit Studio LC 24
Access Virus
Akai S6000
various outboard whatnot
mad patience (and a whole mess of cables)

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Re: Analog mixer users - what do you 2-track to?

Post by dokushoka » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:30 am

Well...
I was going to 1/4" tape, 456 at 15 ips. But with the tape shortage I'll mix down through my 2 track's electronics then just back to disk. I've experimented with doing things like replacing the 2 track with my s20 or a pair of bricks, just to get some vibe. Works well.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:48 am

One studio I work at is DAW-less, and they mix simultaneously to a Tascam CD burner and a DAT deck.

Another studio mixes to GP9 on an ATR 102 1/2" at 30 ips (no NR) or 15 ips (Dolby SR), and simultaneously brings the mix back into PT so it can be treated with L3. That lets the artist take home a pseudo-mastered version of the mix - makes 'em happy - while the 1/2" mix gets mastered professionally...
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

audioboy6
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audioboy6 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:58 am

I use DP with 2 828MK2s. I have 8 channels of RME and 2 Lavry pairs of Lavry. I currently mix back into DP thourgh the Lavry AD.

chrispnyc
audio school graduate

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:59 am

Oh how I wish I could go to tape...But with the current Quantegy 'situation,' I feel like I will end up liking it a lot but then find myself spending a lot on tape...not to mention the fact that I would have to spend a decent amount on a deck that doesn't sound like junk.

Are there any 2 track decks out there that you can pick up for under, say $700, that are worthwhile?

cp
G4 1.3
DP 4.61
Live 5.0.3
Access Virus
Akai S6000
various outboard whatnot

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:37 am

chrispnyc wrote:Oh how I wish I could go to tape...But with the current Quantegy 'situation,' I feel like I will end up liking it a lot but then find myself spending a lot on tape...not to mention the fact that I would have to spend a decent amount on a deck that doesn't sound like junk.

Are there any 2 track decks out there that you can pick up for under, say $700, that are worthwhile?

cp
Actually, you can go with tape. Years ago, the way I mixed to 2-track was right into a high quality stereo VCR! I've even recorded live shows this way with very good results. And the tape is very affordable and available!
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:31 am

there are alot of 2 trk decks that are worth their salt that can easily be had for less than $700.

i got an mtr-10 awhile back from wes dooley for like $450. throw in a manual and an mrl tape and i was still less than $600...

chrispnyc
audio school graduate

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:33 am

Hah! I've always wondered about that!

The only thing I was unsure about was the inputs on the machine. I assume that they would be unbalanced..

It does make sense, though. Its wide tape, available, cheap - it even has timecode potential...visions of 12 vcrs racked up all running on timecode dance through my head...just kidding.

Thanks
cp
G4 1.3
DP 4.61
Live 5.0.3
Access Virus
Akai S6000
various outboard whatnot

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:40 am

I go to both a dat and a CD recorder, I do four identical mixes, to have plenty of backups. Both work well. Also, for you drum machine users, when I use a drum machine, I use my CD recorder to back up drum data, works fantastic, and, one disc lsts forever because I never need to finalize it.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:48 pm

chrispnyc wrote:Are there any 2 track decks out there that you can pick up for under, say $700, that are worthwhile?
Most used 1/4" two tracks are under $700 ATR100s and maybe some Studers are more then that. I hear of people buying Ampex AG440's for $70, their great machines if you're doing rock n roll. Otari MX-5050's are really good too, more modern and more stable, and I see them in the $300-$600 range.

As far as the first question, I usually record on 2" or DTRS depending on the musical style. If I need to edit I may run tracks to PT, sometimes I record vocals directly to PT. When I mix I run everything through my console to 1/4" usually GP9. Sometimes if I'm just doing a demo or something I may just do everything in PT so I can really mess with stuff, and then just 'bounce to disk".

audio school

Post by 563 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:13 pm

My main rig is Adat based with a Mackie board. To mix I send the outs from the Mackie to an M-Audio USB MobilePre to my laptop to Cool Edit 2000.

It ain't fancy, it ain't golden, but it works well, sounds decent enough, and I just love me some CE2K for mixdown and editing.

I have an old Sony 1/4" open reel deck, but the ins on that thing are too noisy to make it useable really.
Before there was theory, there was music - Keiji Haino

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:13 pm

I usually mix simultaneously to 1/4" 30 ips and RADAR. It the project was tracked on the RADAR then I leave two tracks open to mix and it 24bit/44.1k. If I tracked to 2" then the RADAR is 24bit/88.2k. The dual mix saved my ass recently. I had some kind of component failure in the 1/4" machine. When the project got to JJ Golden for mastering he thought something wasn't right. There was some low-level hash from the tape but not the digital mix. He was able to master from the digital mix. I'm having the 1/4" re-capped right now.

chrispnyc
audio school graduate

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:16 pm

It seems like having a back up when mixing is crucial...

I generally am mixing back into my computer, but if I have a bunch going on in the mix while its in the computer as a multi-track, and I am rerecording the 2 track back in, it can cause some issues.

I'm looking around at reel to reel deck at the moment - it seems like a good way to go.

By the way, do any DAT's run at 24 bit or are they all 16 or 20 bit?

Thanks
G4 1.3
DP 4.61
Live 5.0.3
Access Virus
Akai S6000
various outboard whatnot

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:23 pm

I go out through Lynx A/B cards -> Dangerous 2-Bus LT -> Pro VLA (sometimes) -> Tascam CD-RW2000. I've got the LT wired to a TT patchbay with all the Lynx outputs normaled to the LT, so it basically acts as my permanent "board".

Next up is the Dangerous Mixer or something similar so that I can run hot out of the DAW and control the levels externally. But, that's OT.

On the VCR angle, if you get a really good hi-fi VCR, it's a good option.

MT

retrograde
studio intern

Post by retrograde » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:39 pm

I mix either (a) to 1/4" GP-9 at 30 ips then to masterlink at 96khz or (b) directly to the masterlink at 96khz depending on the texture I'm going for.

Geoff