One more drum mic'ing question(s)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JASIII
george martin

One more drum mic'ing question(s)

Post by JASIII » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:42 pm

After lengthy U of TFSF, I could use some advice. I'm recording a friend's band at my place. Rawk, kind of Mudhoney meets harder-Ween stuff. My friend is the drummer and we've worked some on drums sounds at my place, so I've got some starting points. Anyway, I'm going to go mono, I want to put one OH out front, a kick mic for reinforcement, and a room mic. I've been really into using the heavy compression/short delay method on the room mic lately, I want to first try an Ashly SC50 to squash that.

my questions are about mic's. D112 on kick, I've got a C414 and a CAD M179 as logical options for the room mic (because they are the only 2 omni's I've got). BUT, would I be better served using the C414 as the OH? Or would another decent cardioid like a 4033 or the CAD be better suited for the closer OH to save the "nicer" 414 as the room mic? Experiences? Preferences?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Re: One more drum mic'ing question(s)

Post by ulriggribbons » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:56 pm

I'd just try it both ways. Set up one way, record a couple minutes. Setup the other way, record a couple minutes. Use your ears to decide which one you like better.

Regards

ju

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:01 pm

my preference is an OH behind the drummers dominant hand shoulder, about 5-6' up, pointing to where the snare meets the kick rim, then a snare mic (for reinforcement), and a kick mic. Then for a 4th, you could try a room mic.. But, setting it up and recording a few minutes, then trying something else is gonna be best.
beware bee wear

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:03 pm

I say, you're going to squash the shit out of the room mic, more than likely, so I wouldn't worry about putting the nicer one there. The OH mic is the more critical one as you're looking to basically get your entire kit out of it. You're just using the D112 for insurance in case you need more umph, right?
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:10 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:I say, you're going to squash the shit out of the room mic, more than likely, so I wouldn't worry about putting the nicer one there. The OH mic is the more critical one as you're looking to basically get your entire kit out of it. You're just using the D112 for insurance in case you need more umph, right?
later,
m
Yeah, the D112 is "just in case". I see your point about using the better LDC for the OH. Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I've been thinking about.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:30 am

'BUT, would I be better served using the C414 as the OH? Or would another decent cardioid like a 4033 or the CAD be better suited for the closer OH to save the "nicer" 414 as the room mic? Experiences? Preferences?'

what's you're room like? i swear i love dynamics (including ribbons) for room...and the rooms i'm in don't dig omni as much as a directional thang.

are you tracking the band with the drums?

414 or 4033 overhead - i'd start with the 4033 - it's brighter and far more open. but that's preference and dependent on everything. but try the 414 on snare. whoa.

MIke

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:44 am

Here's an interesting technique I tried recently. I placed a a 414 in figure-8 pattern right between the cymbols so that the null sides of the figure-8 pattern rejects the cymbols. One side will pick up the drums while the other side picks up the room...no phase problems. I also used a kick mic for some punch, and a room mic in omni 6' out from the kit. I squashed the hell out of the room mic and blended that in. What an incredible sound! Even though it was mixed in mono, the sound seems spacious & 3D.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395