Biamp mixers. What do you know?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Biamp mixers. What do you know?

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:08 pm

I was at the local music store yesterday, and asked how much this old Biamp 12 channel board was and Ms. Silvia Williams said it was $150, but since the 1/4" connections were breaking off in the back, I could have it for $75.

I said, Ahhhh, I don't think I really want if the connections are breaking apart, and she said she will probably eventually donate it, and I said,

eh eh eh,

And she gave it to me for free. Score!!!
If you're ever in Seaside CA go buy some strings from Sylvia Williams music on Broadway. She doesn't have much of anything there that is really worth buying but she's the coolest.

Anyway, does anybody know anything helpful about these boards?
I guess I'll just be looking at markertek or whereever for some new 1/4" female input jacks. Is there anywhere else besides Markertek or Redco to buy these things?

I opened it up and it looks like there's a spring reverb in there too. Sweet!!!

Anyway, if the preamps are kind of lo-fi, I'll use those every once in awhile.
Otherwise I'm thinking I'll use it for monitoring and sell my tascam board. Just because I only use it for monitoring anyway.

Any tips?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Re: Biamp mixers. What do you know?

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:14 am

doo

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:55 am

Biamp is a Beaverton Oregon company (just over the hill from Portland) and some of their designs were pretty good. Decent Pre's, usable EQ. They made a lot of cheap EQ's and and limiters. They are still in business but they only make products for the installation world. In the early 90's they had some really killer mixers, but just then Mackie came on and wiped their butt on price . Does it have multicolored knobs? Green, red, blue? I had an 8 channel rack mount mixer of theirs as my PA board for awhile and it did a fine job. Free is the best price there is....rescue the poor thing from oblivian and enjoy.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:23 pm

Beaverton?

That's where the rich folks live right?

Yeah, I'll definately try and get this up and running. I didn't see any transformers in there. Too bad.

I forget about the knobs. I don't have it right in front of me right now. If they were multicolored, they weren't bringht.

It's totally bare bones. There's no busses, or maybe there's 1. I'm thinking of wiring most of the XLR mic inputs to the line input (the breaking trs's) wires because that will adapt to my current snake. And then maybe leaving a couple as they are incase I like the mic pres for something.

There's also 1/4" inserts on every channel.
And the main output has a single 1/4" jack. I'm guessing it's stereo, but jeez.
I need to get a manual for this thing.

I think I want to make it my new traveling monitoring board.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:03 pm

honkyjonk wrote:Beaverton?

That's where the rich folks live right?

upper middle class.

the rich people live in lake oswego (lake no-negro)

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:18 pm

I've also heard of it referred to as Fake Oswego.

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:27 pm

You can still email bi-amp & they'll share any info they have on discontinued products. I got (also for free) a biamp quad "limiter" that only has one knob & one screw adjustment, so I hunted them up on the net & emailed them. Although they had scanty info, I at least know what the knob & screw adjustment does (although I'll have to dig the email up to remember - haven't had a chance to try it out yet). You may get lucky & get a user manual or even a schematic (unlikely, but if you don't ask....). They seemed like really nice folks.
Good luck

JWP
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:58 pm

What model is it honkyjonk? I have an old 1642 (i think) sitting around that's kinda cool.
I'm goin' to the store, anybody need anything?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:53 pm

Has it got a black color scheme? Those were pretty decent boards, but noisy by today's standards.

Might even be a spring reverb in there!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:40 am

Good Lord !!!

I ran some pre-recorded signals through it, and this thing distorts soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!!

I don't care what anybody says. No tubes. No transformers, but I'm totally going to be running tons of gutar and drums through this.

This is the best deal ever.

The model number is actually 1283.

A couple wierd things. I assumed the XLR's are mic preamps because they say low z input on them but they actually seem to be lower input than the trs line ins. I'm going to have to check that again. Maybe I'm crazy.

Anyway, I'm gonna look around for a manual.