Some weird old Ampex mic from a tape machine...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Some weird old Ampex mic from a tape machine...

Post by wing » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:19 pm

A friend of my brother's got this mic from his dad's reel-to-reel and was thinking of selling it on eBay until my brother mentioned that I like microphones. It's an Ampex 1101. Its connector is a 1/4". Of course, knowing that it originally accompanied a consumer reel is enough to assume it is probably just generic lo-fi crap. But I figured I might ask around here to see if it would be worth me buying. I'd like to try it out on a trial basis, but unfortunately I can't (the guy wants to sell it soon).

Looks cool too. It's short, and has this sort of weird bent shape in it. Here is the only photo of one I could find online (it's the short one on the very left):

He doesn't even know how much it's worth, if anything. If I offered him $5, would that be unfair? I did get to test it, and it works.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Re: Some weird old Ampex mic from a tape machine...

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:31 pm

I watch those old consumer r2r mics all the time, I'd say $5-$10 is fair and a lot less hassle for him shipping and all that bs
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

lunchboxaudio
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Some weird old Ampex mic from a tape machine...

Post by lunchboxaudio » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:09 am

i have an Ampex 501 stereo dynamic mic...it's lo-fi, and plastic...i bought it from someone here on tapeop for $25. it has a stereo quarter inch, which i connect to a y-cable. i dig it though and consider the money well spent.

i recorded a lead guitar track and mixed it with a 414 room mic and was very pleased on that occasion. i'm going to try it as a drum overhead next. i wouldn't feel bad offering $5-10 for the 1101...

-r.