analogue mixer

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
blixton
takin' a dinner break

Re: analogue mixer

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:33 pm

I can't find any info on a teac m16 mixer or a tascam m106 on google. Were teac and tascam the same company? Is there a site dedicated to antiquated mixers?

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:08 pm

Preslav wrote:
The M16 was from what I've seen the top of the line console made by TEAC. Now it doesn't sound clean and I totally agree about the high end hiss, however, it was a full out pro console. The reason I recommend it is because as far as monitoring and remixing capabilities it is comparable if not better than the Trident 65 I am using right now. Full meter bridge too...I think they were trying to break into the US market with those things.
Oops, I always do that with Tascam stuff. I thought you might have dropped the zero (typo). Yeah, their high-end stuff doesn't suck, that's for sure.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:13 pm

blixton wrote:I can't find any info on a teac m16 mixer or a tascam m106 on google. Were teac and tascam the same company? Is there a site dedicated to antiquated mixers?
If my memory serves me, it was one company, TEAC. The TEAC line was the pro/high end stuff, and the Tascam was their consumer line.

Every once in a while I see a Tascam mixer at a used gear store. I haven't seen any on eBay for a while.

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:13 pm

Im a little confused. What mixers should I look for?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:20 pm

old crow wrote:Darn... I just sold a Garnet, 6 ch. with seperate outs, all tube with a single ended output and reverb. That thing was amazing and super quiet. I think they're kind of rare but you may want to search eBay from time to time...
Garnet made mixers? FUCK!!!!!!!!! Something new to look for in the pawn shops of Western Canada. I once shared a rehersal space with a band that had an all tube Traynor 8 channel mixer from the late 60's. I wish I'd bought it off of them. Never seen one like it again.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:19 pm

blixton wrote:Im a little confused. What mixers should I look for?
Depends on what you want to spend. The TEAC will probably be a couple thousand- and it's worth it. Lots of routing options, meters, basically all you would expect with a professional quality mixer. You'll need a couple people and a truck to haul it.

The Tascam will be less than $100 and quite lower in fidelity. I think it has an effects send, a monitor send, 4 busses, and a stereo out. The M106 fits into a shoulder bag that I used as its case.

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:24 pm

I definetly don't want to spend 2 grand. Under 100 sounds good. Lower in fidelity? How. Couldn't I get a new mackie if I wanted great fidelity, although, thats a can of worms

so a tascam M106 should do it? Is this a 70's mixer?>

how many channels on the tascam?

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:55 pm

Oh, the old model 5 looks good.

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:57 pm

hmm, or the tascam M-308