analogue mixer

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
blixton
takin' a dinner break

analogue mixer

Post by blixton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:07 pm

I'm trying to decide on an analogue mixer. 16 channel. I want a true analogue mixer with lots of cross-talk and grit and discreet circuits. Stuff like that. Any suggestions?

bigtoe
deaf.

Re: analogue mixer

Post by bigtoe » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:11 am

'I want a true analogue mixer with lots of cross-talk and grit and discreet circuits.'

eh?

try the boards that are on b/s/t. the allen and heath and the studiomaster...

before i do.

Mike

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:57 am

What does b/s/t, mean? Should I be looking for mixers that were made in the 70's? Are the newer analogue mixers too clean?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:00 am

B/S/T= Buy, Sell, Trade

You want a mixer with crosstalk issues?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:10 am

.. :shock:
cgarges wrote:B/S/T= Buy, Sell, Trade

You want a mixer with crosstalk issues?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
:shock:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:13 am

snatchman wrote:.. :shock:
My sentiments exactly.

Chris

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:21 am

Im not building a studio for public use. I do want these problems. As strange as it sounds. I like thse quirks in analogue equipment. Flame suit on.

Preslav
gettin' sounds

Post by Preslav » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:26 am

don't give this dude a hard time.

said dude: you should take a look at the first TEAC/Tascam mixers from around the mid 70's. I used to use a Tascam M16 which sounded good in my opinion but had some of the "issues" you mentioned. They're gigantic but you can get them for relatively nothing compared to US/European brands.

preslav

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:28 am

I just want to make sure you know what crosstalk is. That's just an odd thing to want in a console. If you really want a console with crosstalk issues, you're probably in luck because you ought to be able to find something cheap.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:38 am

Preslav wrote:don't give this dude a hard time.

said dude: you should take a look at the first TEAC/Tascam mixers from around the mid 70's. I used to use a Tascam M16 which sounded good in my opinion but had some of the "issues" you mentioned. They're gigantic but you can get them for relatively nothing compared to US/European brands.

preslav
I'm not giving him a hard time. Actually, I think it's kinda cool! I wish I could just have that mentality of thinking and be content with it, instead of this constant challenge of pursuing ultimate fidelity!.. :? . I would probably have a whole lot more money and definately more songs composed!... 8)

old crow
audio school

Post by old crow » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:45 am

Darn... I just sold a Garnet, 6 ch. with seperate outs, all tube with a single ended output and reverb. That thing was amazing and super quiet. I think they're kind of rare but you may want to search eBay from time to time...

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:51 am

old crow wrote:Darn... I just sold a Garnet, 6 ch. with seperate outs, all tube with a single ended output and reverb. That thing was amazing and super quiet. I think they're kind of rare but you may want to search eBay from time to time...
Hey old crow, I wish I could have heard this one myself..!.. 8)

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:19 am

Preslav wrote:don't give this dude a hard time.

preslav
another word for the low end mixers of Tascam. I had a Trashcan M106 that had some definite issues and I couldn't wait to get rid of it, but now I really wish I had it again. It was great as a bass direct. On sources with high end, the character of the hiss really blended well with any high end you were able to squeeze out of it. It sounded dark and chunky, kinda like Doc Marten's boots. If you can find one, it should be around $75 US.

very punk rock.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:56 am

Sounds good.

Preslav
gettin' sounds

Post by Preslav » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:10 pm

Randy wrote:
another word for the low end mixers of Tascam. I had a Trashcan M106 that had some definite issues and I couldn't wait to get rid of it, but now I really wish I had it again. It was great as a bass direct. On sources with high end, the character of the hiss really blended well with any high end you were able to squeeze out of it. It sounded dark and chunky, kinda like Doc Marten's boots. If you can find one, it should be around $75 US.

very punk rock.

The M16 was from what I've seen the top of the line console made by TEAC. Now it doesn't sound clean and I totally agree about the high end hiss, however, it was a full out pro console. The reason I recommend it is because as far as monitoring and remixing capabilities it is comparable if not better than the Trident 65 I am using right now. Full meter bridge too...I think they were trying to break into the US market with those things.