vintage high end military equipment

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
blixton
takin' a dinner break

vintage high end military equipment

Post by blixton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Ive heard there are some real gems in this market for audio. Any ideas on what to look for? Recording equipment?? I can't seem to find the right path to the right information. Thanks

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: vintage high end military equipment

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:35 pm

The AM864/U compressor is a classic. Made by the army signal corps.

People just call it the "federal" compressor a lot. I have one. It kind of rocks.

They always need re-capping unless you buy it from a studio, but then it isnt the deal you are looking for. Ebay kinda wrecked these deals, because everyone knows what they are now. Ecpect to pay around 1000-1200 for one of these comps....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:24 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Ebay kinda wrecked these deals, because everyone knows what they are now. Ecpect to pay around 1000-1200 for one of these comps....
Sounds like you wrecked these deals because everyone knows what they are now. ;-)

CG

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:34 pm

Chris: I almost didnt post it because of that. !

There are a bunch of other amazing comps that I found out about, and until I have three I am not saying a word! For real.

( I also got the prototype electro harmonix tube mic pre tonight, and I cant wait to break it.... I mean check it out on a couple sources. I ran line level through it tonight.... This thing is gonna make some waves, guys... They are shooting for the same price point as the ART and other um, stuff, in that price range. This thing is gonna kick total ass for the money they are going for....)

I will report back on that...

(i got the CD by the way chris, thanks. I havent listened to it yet... no time...)

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:49 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:There are a bunch of other amazing comps that I found out about, and until I have three I am not saying a word! For real.
I have a similar 'find' in my arsenal, have four already,, and I'm still not telling! :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:07 pm

cowtrax wrote:I have a similar 'find' in my arsenal, have four already,, and I'm still not telling! :)
Yeah, I've got a bunch of this stuff, too. Why do you think I've been slack on writing reviews lately?

Chris

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:31 am

I don't have any secret stuff yet, but when I do get some, I'm not going to tell anyone about it until I own all of them.
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:59 am

I don't own shit. Have pity on me.

But the Electro Harmonix pre looks like it might be the next gear purchase once cash is obtained.

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:45 am

WTF! Why did I even make this topic? So, is it all compressors? Are there EQ's out there? Throw me a bone!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:57 am

There are all kinds of lesser known brands out there, not just military stuff.
You have to be willing to spend some cash and try the stuff out for yourself, or try something new on a whim... I have gotten a lot of crap that way, then re-sold it at a total loss and tried again. OR you can go to a bunch of studios and check out something they have that you have never heard of, and freak out, and research for a long time, and find yourself something cool that way.

That is how I have been doing it for years.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:08 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:
( I also got the prototype electro harmonix tube mic pre tonight, and I cant wait to break it.... I mean check it out on a couple sources. I ran line level through it tonight.... This thing is gonna make some waves, guys... They are shooting for the same price point as the ART and other um, stuff, in that price range. This thing is gonna kick total ass for the money they are going for....)

I will report back on that...

ROCK ON!!!

Can't wait to read your review Joel!

for Blixton; what I do on ebay is go to Buy>Consumer Electronics>Vintage Electronics. It's there that you'll find categories for RTR's, Preamps, etc.. Some of the military stuff is there under Tube Preamplifiers.

Personally, the Vintage section under Consumer Electronics is the most interesting to me.

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:55 am

good idea.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:10 am

Military or OLD gear just plain sucks ....and is old, save your money and buy all DIGIDESIGN and FOCUSRITE stuff....and if you need that vintage sound , just grab a behringer tube vintage ultra pro seargeant badass knob box.....they're like only $150,00 :D

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:04 am

Are maintaining "secrets" really necessary?

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:07 am

joel:

"You have to be willing to spend some cash and try the stuff out for yourself, or try something new on a whim... I have gotten a lot of crap that way, then re-sold it at a total loss and tried again. OR you can go to a bunch of studios and check out something they have that you have never heard of, and freak out, and research for a long time, and find yourself something cool that way. "

can you make a list of stuff that you bought that totally sucked. that way we can avoid those items. if you could use those items that you took a loss on then we won't be able to use them either. just curious to know which ones turned out to be really horrible.