Looking to modify my snake splitter. A few questions...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ctmsound
george martin

Looking to modify my snake splitter. A few questions...

Post by ctmsound » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:01 am

...if you all can help me out, I'd much appreciate it. I have a 16 channel transformer isolated snake splitter. It works great, except I didn't do my research enough. I can't phantom power my mics from my end, only from the other trunk which goes to FOH in a live situation. Now, I know it's possible to just add pin disconnects to each trunk and just switch the box around if I'm doing a recording sesison (and not a live reocrding where FOH needs a split), but is there another way to do this? Possible to create a switch(es) that will bypass the transformer if need be? Disconnects will run me about $500 and I could just buy another snake for way less than that since I get 10 up at my music store.

What kind of options do I have? Any of you message board goers do this kind of work and can offer some service? Any help would be great, thanks.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Re: Looking to modify my snake splitter. A few questions...

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:23 am

A dpdt switch could be installed to bypass the transformer (you'd have to wire one per channel), but you run the risk of both foh and feed trying to feed phantom to the source.

A better option might be to install a 4pdt switch such that it changes who gets the isolation (the feed or the foh).

Personally, I'd like the split to come after the mic pre.

Regards

ju