crappy cables

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
miktunes25
audio school

crappy cables

Post by miktunes25 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:22 pm

OK I was helping a buddy record today and ran into something that made me curious. I've been recording for a few years and have always recorded with quality cables. That is just what I was taught is never to try and save bucks when it comes to cables. Over at my buddies house I was helping him with mic placement and things like that. Everything I tried just sounded really squashed and didn't have any sparkle to it. Then I noticed he was running cheap radioshack cables into his soundcard. Could they be causing that terrible "dead" sound? I'm not an expert so I didn't want to tell him that was his problem. Is it possible for cables to make things sound that bad?

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Re: crappy cables

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:47 pm

bad cables can make things sound horrible, but not a very obvious way(usually). Phase, noise, harmonics..that kindof stuff.. I would be willing to bet the soundcard is the main issue, though. But never cheap out on bad cables, especially when your using good stuff.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:51 pm

cheap is cheap. if it sounds good, you're lucky.

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:09 am

I used to use store bought cables, but then I heard some made with Canare Quad. Ever since, I've been building them with that and Switchcraft connectors. The quality is way better, and the sound is so clear.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:25 am

Cheap cables, especially on short runs, don't tend to "squash" the sound. Instead, you get intermittent connections, excessive hum pickup, and similar "obviously something's busted" problems.

More likely you've got a cheapo soundcard, or (most likely) a basic mismatch between the mic and a soundcard as far as impedance and power goes. Best approach is to have a mic preap or small mixer between the mic(s) and the soundcard, and use only the line inputs on the soundcard. Soundcard mic inputs are designed for those crappy little computer mics, not pro audio.

miktunes25
audio school

Post by miktunes25 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:49 pm

well i think he had a delta 1010 and he was running a set of 8 preamps into it. I have no idea what they were. Maybe older peaveys or something. I am just trying to figure out what the heck is making everything sound so dead. its just so wierd because i can take all the mics i use and set them up the same way that i can get great sounds but they just sound terrible in his studio. any other ideas of what could be going on? i'm not an expert at this stuff.