Creating a sound barrier between a sliding door

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
btswire
gettin' sounds

Creating a sound barrier between a sliding door

Post by btswire » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:02 pm

I recently moved into an apartment in which my bedroom is separated from my roommate's room by a large sliding door, measuring 6'x7.5'. ?I am trying to figure out an easy affordable solution to help block sound between the rooms. ?The door will remain permanently closed. ?I would rather not have to deal with the procedure of constructing a wall using sheetrock, and I need something that I can remove upon moving out of the apartment. ?I was thinking that perhaps I would build a frame in the doorway in front of the door on both sides using 2"x2" sheets of wood, and then put up sheets of "soundboard" or perhaps acoustical ceiling tiles. ?A local supplier sells USG micore which he claims is far more effective than the soundboard at home depot. ?Does anyone have experience with any of these products. ?Can soundboard and ceiling tiles be screwed in around the edges or will they crumble? ?If I use ceiling tile is it imperative to caulk around each edge? ?Would multiple layers help? ?When I spoke with someone at USG today he went on for a very long time about the proper procedure to go about constructing a wall for sound isolation. ?I am not expecting the room to be dead quiet, I just want to help cut down the sound in an efficient manner. ?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
?
Thanks,
Ben

distorTED
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Creating a sound barrier between a sliding door

Post by distorTED » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:26 pm

Something like this?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:21 am

A gobo could work somewhat, but you're not going to get very good isolation. To really get good sound blocking, you would need to construct a parallel wall and install a second sliding glass door. Any types of standalone structures will have significant flanking problems, letting the sound out and around whatever you put up. Your best bet if you don't need a lot of isolation would be to get some heavy curtains--like those used at a movie theatre. I've seen these sold in the past so they can be found.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:26 am

For sound isolation, you need both mass and sealing.

I think your framing idea can work, just make sure you have no airgaps, or none of the materials will matter. I'm no expert at construction, but if anyone has any idea what would work for removable caulking, I'm sure that would help.