My next mic purchase

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

My next mic purchase

Post by capnreverb » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:18 am

One thing I don't have yet is a real quality larger dynamic mic. From what i can tell, the following are the best options. The only one I have ever used is the Re20 at the radio station and it sounds great. I will be using it for guitar/bass cab's, voice, and whatever else it might work good for. Which one would you get, and why. If I missed one include that too.

sm7
re20
re27
sennheiser 421
sennheiser 441

Thanks.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Re: My next mic purchase

Post by lobstman » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:41 am

All solid choices- you really can't go wrong with any of them. Everybody's always so gung-ho about the $99 China LDCs that they overlook the high end dynamics, which are vastly superior mics. On any given source, I'd try any of these first before going to an MXL/ADK/Studio Projects whatever.

Personally, the RE20 and 421 are my favorites, although I've never really played with the SM7. Don't forget the RE38, either.

PS- If you watch that Led Zeppelin DVD, in one segement they're using RE20s as overheads! Catch that, Zeppelin4Life? (bg)
Steve Albini used to like it

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:16 am

lobstman wrote:All solid choices- you really can't go wrong with any of them. Everybody's always so gung-ho about the $99 China LDCs that they overlook the high end dynamics, which are vastly superior mics. On any given source, I'd try any of these first before going to an MXL/ADK/Studio Projects whatever.

Personally, the RE20 and 421 are my favorites, although I've never really played with the SM7. Don't forget the RE38, either.

PS- If you watch that Led Zeppelin DVD, in one segement they're using RE20s as overheads! Catch that, Zeppelin4Life? (bg)
Yes, thing is, i all ready have a bunch of lower end LDC's, and high end LDC's are way expensive, but quality dynamics are a bit more affordable. I'm going for quality now!

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:17 am

yes big ol RE-20s. I like them on bass amps. Ive only used them once. a great mic for radio. never tried them on overheads...check my poster. also notice that vocal-type mic on the bass drum. Sm58 ish? same deal. something about dyanmic mics as overheads just leaves me a little spooked out tho. Image
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:36 am

If it's guitar cabs you'll be micing: Don't forget the best Mid Sized Dynamic: THE SM57!!!

I've got a crap load of LDC's and that F-ing SM57, close miced, on a guitar cab does amazing things especially mixed with a distant LDC.

Don't forget the cheap, simple, rugged and best!

Oh: If you want to spend a lot of money: My two favorite LDC's on guitar cab are the Blue Blueberry for distorted guitar and the Dragonfly is a kick ass general purpose mic, works great on guitar too. Go spend a grand and then check the SM57.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:41 am

Zeppelin4Life wrote:... something about dyanmic mics as overheads just leaves me a little spooked out tho.
Oh man. Have you tried it? I have never tried RE20's as overheads, but there is something amazing about dynamics as overheads in my mind. It is the certain character they bring out. It's one of those things that once I tried, I thought "crap, this could work out alot better, in alot of situations!", not to mention that combined with mic'ed toms (like in your poster) a large dynamic may increase the low end sustain while the close mics would provide your "edge" or attack. Is this right, or am I totally wrong about this? I am dying to try this now... I wish I had some large dynamics!
as far as opinions on mics, capnreverb, my vote would be for the 421. I absolutely love that mic and can't wait to own a pair (or 3) of my own. I love the sound of everything I have ever put one on. Can't say that for an RE20, only mic'ed a bass drum and bass cab with one. Bass cab I liked, drum I did not, at all. Could have just been the other factors, and not the mic.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:17 am

Gosh, I would get the Re-27 or the 441...depends I guess. I would get the 441 for drums and vocals, or the 27 for bass and guitar amps, or kick drum...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:28 am

Zeppelin4Life wrote: something about dyanmic mics as overheads just leaves me a little spooked out tho.
I just used a pair of EV666s as kind of a front of kit "triangle" pair with an M160 as a mono overhead for 2 songs. It actually sounded great...got just what I wanted out of the setup. Granted, the 666s sound smoother and closer to "ribbony" than many other dynamics, but still....

heylow

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:34 am

capnreverb wrote:One thing I don't have yet is a real quality larger dynamic mic. From what i can tell, the following are the best options. The only one I have ever used is the Re20 at the radio station and it sounds great. I will be using it for guitar/bass cab's, voice, and whatever else it might work good for. Which one would you get, and why. If I missed one include that too.

sm7
re20
re27
sennheiser 421
sennheiser 441

Thanks.

Oh...and...on topic...

I suppose it comes down to taste but I don't think you can go wrong with the SM7. Of course, the RE20 is no slouch...the SM7 just seems to be quite a world-wide go to, from the biggest guys in the biz to my pals recording guitars in basements ans every application I have heard them used in sounds great.

The 421 won't get you much mileage. It's OK...for some things.

The 441 is a great GREAT mic for many things but still likely won't give you the mileage that the SM7 or RE20 would. Either of those would be choice, but the Shure has my vote.

heylow

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 am

i love my SM-7. I'm not impressed with 421s. An SM-7 is about the same price. And I prefer it to an Re-20, but that is me.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:04 am

i'm going to vote sennheiser in this post. not to take anything away from the sm7, but i love 421's for tons of stuff. what's better? the sennheiser 409. now that's a kick ass large diaphragm dynamic for guitar. can be found on eBay for $300 or so (often $350). If you want to go cheap. you can get one of the newer senn. e609's, while they aren't nearly as sweet as the old 409's they are an excellent value and do a great job for under $100. so there's that...

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:00 pm

dictaphone, what is your impression of the SM7 with acoustic guitars?

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:22 pm

421, I love it!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:46 pm

Well, if you've got the money for a 441, a 421 probably wouldn't be that interesting. I've got both, and the 421 is useful but not anything special. The 441, though - on sax it's amazing.