What are some good cheap mics?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jach
audio school graduate

What are some good cheap mics?

Post by jach » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:49 pm

I mean really CHEAP but decent. Like $30(that's pushin' it) and way down to $.99. Its just for 4-track. I would like to buy a few mics so I could experiment with them.

jach
audio school graduate

Re: What are some good cheap mics?

Post by jach » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:53 pm

Also does anyone have any favorite cheap mics out there?

Kazawa Atoll
audio school

Post by Kazawa Atoll » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:58 pm

I'm sort of a newbie, but as far as I know, there aren't any "decent" mics for under 30 buck. I'd suggest saving up 60 bucks and getting an MXL 990 condensor mic, which I the cheapest mic I know of, and it's got some pretty good reviews. That thing'll serve you well for most applications until you have enough cash for a 57 or a 58 and start getting into more specific stuff. On the other hand, if ou're deperately in need of something to record sound with, go to Radioshack and pick up on of thier mics. I guess they'll work.

P.S. I just forgot that you'll probably need phantom power for the MXL, which you can get on a Rolls mini-mic preamp for about 20 bucks.
Here's my signature.

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:18 pm

Cheap but decent? $30 is pushing it? Down to 99 cents?

You make it sound like you're buying a burger and fries. Microphones cost more money than that.

Although at that price you might be able to find a mic at a bowling alley or a drive-thru window that would be fun to experiment with.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:30 pm

You can't get anything decent new at that price, but you could get a good dynamic mic used on ebay or elsewhere. AKG D1000E is one you can find on ebay sometimes, usually at about $30, and there are some good old Electrovoice mics you can get around that price too, if you wait for the right one. EV 664 can be had for $30 or less pretty often, and it's well worth it.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:33 pm

I almost forgot-- shure 545. It's the predecessor of the sm57 and is pretty much identical. They often go between 20-40 bucks.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:42 pm

Wow, that is pushin' it, but I did find a great mic at that price once.. AKG D3700, but they don't make 'em anymore. I'd tell you to buy a used one, but I bought two of them used that were dead.

I had a new one, but it got a little bit of feedback in it once, and it was done.. Absolutely no low end response, the used ones I bought sounded exactly the same.. I'm sure that's why they were closing them out so cheap, they just don't last, if I could get my hands on one now I'd use it on guitar cabs all the time (at a slightly less-than-normal volume), but never plug it in to a live PA.

I still have the tweeked ones, I figure it'll make a nice effect mic for something someday..

Other than that... The best you can do is probably Radio Shack, man, and I think you're on your own there, maybe you'll tap into best kept secret in the mic industry... Who knows..??
I eat glue.

bill tidey
audio school graduate

Post by bill tidey » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:51 pm

maybe an used electrovoice 635a? i got one for about 35 bucks on ebay awhile back.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:54 pm

Nady Starpower SP-5 mics from musicians friend, buy 1 @ 19.99, get 2 free:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=h ... id/277174/

They aren't great, but they are useful at the price.

Behringer XM8500 mics from musicians friend or www.audiomidi.com: around $19.99 each. Similar to the Nady's in construction (they're all made in China).

Use these or similar types until you can afford to buy Shures, EV, AKG or other more "name brand" mics later. They're so inexpensive it's not like you're throwing money away buying them.

junior
pluggin' in mics

Post by junior » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:26 pm

sell some of your blood and check between your sofa cushions to scrounge up enough for any of the following:

shure 57 / 58, studio projects c1, b1, at atm25 (for bass/kick), oktava mc012 and the nady rsm-2 ribbon mic...

... or maybe you can build your own: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=27594

;)
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"...
--Scott Adams

jach
audio school graduate

Post by jach » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will swing on by radioshack and see what they have. I have a Shure sm58 and a Ross dynamic. I just wanted to find some extra mics for a little variety. I just wanted to make a small investment because I know how bad cheap mics can be. I've had a radioshack mic and that thing lasted a month. So I was kind of not wanting to go that route again.

Oh, this is a little off topic but that Ross mic I mentioned is missing the end of it that would normaly have the xlr output. Instead of the 3 prong xlr jack it has a four prong thing. What is the deal with this? I'd google it but I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:19 pm

The TapeOp DIY omni - less than $20 each, if you can handle soldering.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:26 pm

Scodiddly wrote:The TapeOp DIY omni - less than $20 each, if you can handle soldering.

Yes!!! Make mics!!!

jach
audio school graduate

Post by jach » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:51 am

Scodiddly wrote:The TapeOp DIY omni - less than $20 each, if you can handle soldering.
Where are the specs on that?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:55 am

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com