External Mixers vs. Controller

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jalyel
audio school

External Mixers vs. Controller

Post by jalyel » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:57 pm

I have a Protools 002 rack. I know this system comes with a mixer which has a lot of cool sound effects and so forth. My questions is that I need to have the ability to touch the nobs. I am trying to determine if a external mixer would work better or go with a controller which everything would still be controlled by the software in Protools. If I go with the mixer I am thinking about the Soundcraft FX8. Can anyone make any suggestions. I went online to Digidesign's web site and was unable to see what mixers would be compatible with Protools. Can anyone offer any help. Thanks in advance for reading this posting.

deepwater
audio school graduate

Re: External Mixers vs. Controller

Post by deepwater » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Why don't you just get the 002 control surface which has the same features of the 002R plus a mixer. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Digi002/

macr0w
alignin' 24-trk

Post by macr0w » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:13 pm

I also have an 002R and I would say to get a Command/8 or a Mackie universal control. I have the C/8 which I like alot. I believe future updates to pt will not use the hui emulation that the mackie controlers use. The mixer I don't think is the way to go because it would be of no use unless you send everything in pt out from a different output into seperate channels on the mixer and then out of the mixer to a recording device. Way to much going on there. Get a control surface an stay in the box. Just my 2 cents. :D
002R, Command/8
AMD 64 3500+
www.clearspotrecording.com

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:45 pm

i think the tascam 1884 works for controlling PT. this will also give you 8 more mic pres, and the ability to record with other programs if you needed to.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

Ronan
gettin' sounds

Post by Ronan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:16 am

A controller is basicly a giant mouse. search the forum and you will find plenty of arguments about this, but my opinion is that your mixes will sound better using the real console, if that is an issue.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:24 am

When I look at that 002 or the Command/8, I notice that they do not have a jog wheel, which I feel is a huge plus of having a control surface.

Go with the Mackie Control and get the jog wheel.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra