A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Meriphew
deaf.

Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews...

Post by Meriphew » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:20 pm

I like TapeOp's policy of not wasting space with negative reviews. I'd rather hear about some good stuff than read about some crap.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:44 pm

I like negative reviews of equipment if they are deserved. I don't trust forums, or newsgroups, or Harmony Central reviews.

I KNOW that people on HC all write 10 star reviews for crap they are dumping on ebay.

I have read posts, seemingly written in an expert style, from kids with very little recording experience.

And I generally think the Internet and it's viscious marketing subtext is a toilet.

So, when an expert from Tape Op who I trust separates the chaff from the wheat, then I feel relieved and can move on.

So, price aside, I bow to Tape Op for their expertise and understanding that my wallet suffers... Thank you Larry.
0x

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Theres too much crap out there for negative reviews. IMO stick to the + reviews, regaurdless of price. Id much rather hear about what a product can do instead of what it can't.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:54 pm

0xeneye wrote:I KNOW that people on HC all write 10 star reviews for crap they are dumping on ebay.
For whatever it's worth, I wrote my HC review of the Oktava ML52 before it hit the pages of TapeOp. I wouldn't go so far as to say "all."

CG

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:00 pm

AlSmith wrote:and I'm hearing alot less form people who truly love recording and producing music outside of the confines of an industry which destroys
You're reading it. Not hearing it.

Ian

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:10 pm

I honestly believe no one in this forum needs to defend themselves when it comes to Mr.Smith. Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s) even our pal al.

Fuck' em.

smoochies,

Sy Cophant

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:55 pm

OK, Im busted, larry told me he'd run an article on my studio if I made him look cool on the message board.

Im just a whore, you guys got me.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:39 pm

Yeah -- repaying you for your little smooching. Seriously -- I've read this forum for a while, and you guys are a bunch of infantile little crybabies. Some of you constantly poke fun at others, but when it comes to taking it yourselves, you act like a bunch of little pussies. Later -- you guys aren't amusing anymore.

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:41 pm

P.S., I'd rather listen to Steely Dan, or Eddie Kramer, or even fucking Neil Sedaka than most of your crap, although I have heard a few of you idiots produce some shit that was okay. Later.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:48 pm

AlSmith wrote:P.S., I'd rather listen to Steely Dan, or Eddie Kramer, or even fucking Neil Sedaka than most of your crap, although I have heard a few of you idiots produce some shit that was okay. Later.

infantile.....you dont say.......

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:52 pm

AlSmith wrote:Say what you want, but I've felt an increasing need to look elsewhere outside of this magazine and forum for recording information and for inspiration about recording. To this magazine's credit, the competition is worse. Having said that, more and more this magazine and forum is reading like a trade journal for "independent" wannabe rockstars, butt smooching, and self promotion -- and I'm hearing alot less form people who truly love recording and producing music outside of the confines of an industry which destroys creativity. That's just the way it is. I'll still read this magazine as long as it's free, and I'll occassionally go to this forum for info -- but I wouldn't buy this magazine. Just my 2 cents. See you later.
You joined in Jan 2005, and you've already seen the massive decline. Good thing you don't know what it was like, back in the golden days of the tapeop message board.

Back in the good old days, Larry used to post pictures to the message board of the decomposing corpses of equipment designers who dared to try building anything that would cost more than $100.

And most of the people interviewed in the magazine were so lo-fi, you couldn't listen to their records >anywhere<. Some of them hadn't even recorded anything, becuase they WERE TOO LO-FI!!!!. And they were so indie, that there was no way you could tell who they were!!! It was awesome.

And there was an article on the back page, hosted by Fletcher of mercenary audio, about gear that sucked, profiling a different piece of gear that really really sucked, tested under all sorts of different real world conditions. "This $200 mic sucked on vocals, it sucked on bass, it >really< sucked as a room mic, it was terrible on all parts of the drum kit, and even holding it felt a lot colder, more brittle and less warm and analog than other mics do."

And then there was another article every month next to it, where Larry would explain how much Fletcher's attitude sucked, and profiling a different way in which he sucked, and how his store was overpriced and elitist. And then another article by a bitter, asinine, newly registered poster to this board, setting everything straight about how much Larry and the whole magazine sucked, and so did the accompanying message board, and that we were better off browsing both every once in a while, but not to expect much in the way of useful information from either.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:You joined in Jan 2005, and you've already seen the massive decline. Good thing you don't know what it was like, back in the golden days of the tapeop message board.

Back in the good old days, Larry used to post pictures to the message board of the decomposing corpses of equipment designers who dared to try building anything that would cost more than $100.

And most of the people interviewed in the magazine were so lo-fi, you couldn't listen to their records >anywhere<. Some of them hadn't even recorded anything, becuase they WERE TOO LO-FI!!!!. And they were so indie, that there was no way you could tell who they were!!! It was awesome.

And there was an article on the back page, hosted by Fletcher of mercenary audio, about gear that sucked, profiling a different piece of gear that really really sucked, tested under all sorts of different real world conditions. "This $200 mic sucked on vocals, it sucked on bass, it >really< sucked as a room mic, it was terrible on all parts of the drum kit, and even holding it felt a lot colder, more brittle and less warm and analog than other mics do."

And then there was another article every month next to it, where Larry would explain how much Fletcher's attitude sucked, and profiling a different way in which he sucked, and how his store was overpriced and elitist. And then another article by a bitter, asinine, newly registered poster to this board, setting everything straight about how much Larry and the whole magazine sucked, and so did the accompanying message board, and that we were better off browsing both every once in a while, but not to expect much in the way of useful information from either.

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:54 pm

I'm the new leader of this magazine/forum. It's time for Larry to

Al, did you forget that I'm a moderator here? You're not. Enjoy. -LC

step down, and you guys need to smooch my bottom instead. Larry's a rockstar, now. Writing articles about Eric Valentine,

I didn't write that. JJ did.

going to the Paradiso in Amsterdam,

On my own dime. -LC

keeping telefunken reissues that he was supposed to give a disinsterested review of --

Al, I kept the mic because it actually saved my ass on a session and made someone sound really great. -LC

it's time for someone like me, or maybe inverse room, to take over the reins of leadership, and for Larry to surround himself with buttsmoochers like Dave on his quest to become an industry "Producer" so he can make more money.

If that's my goal I'm doing pretty fucking bad at it! -LC

I'm you new leader -- that's just the way it is. Fuck larry. Sorry, bro, you're out.

Thanks Al. What a sweetheart. -LC

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:52 am

:?:

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:43 am