MCI JH

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

MCI JH

Post by mcijh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:48 pm

Since we're on the downhill side of TapeOpCon 2K5, I thaught I'd get all the Q's out of the way so I'd have time to flirt while in New Orleans. So, Any MCI/Sony Pro audio Q's, now is the time, I may be distracted in June.

SS

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Re: MCI JH

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:38 pm

the take up motor in my JH110a died... what should i do?

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:02 pm

I have a MXP3056 tha hums like a banshee. Could it be because I live on top of an ancient Native American burial ground?

CA

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:13 pm

John: You blew a 2N3055 in the Chimney. ( take the fan assy. out (= four, push-in, 1\4 turn left, knurled knobs). Take the heatsink/s out and measure the 2N3055 pass xstr's. Replace as necessarry.

LADewd: I think I wrote a tech memo on that. Research the Archives.

SS

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:19 pm

P.S. L.A. Dude, Is there an Aentaenae (Sp.) Farm next to that Native American Holy Place?

SS

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:14 pm

JH-24: when punching out, all of the channels don't switch from Rec to Sync at once. they switch in sort of slightly delayed, random cluster of events. what could be going on here to make the punch-outs lazy?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:24 pm

LADewd: I think I wrote a tech memo on that. Research the Archives
I read it and it says Sony will buy back the console. Am I too late? :D

P.S. L.A. Dude, Is there an Aentaenae (Sp.) Farm next to that Native American Holy Place?
Nah, but there are a lot of windmills. Would that cause it if they're all rotating at 60RPM?

CA

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jerrymac » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:31 pm

JH-16, speed control problems. At first I got around it by switching it into variable speed and leaving the knob in the center, but then the machine still started to get a little erratic, sometimes jumping to "really fast" while playing. Seems to have more problems at 15ips than at 30ips.

PLL board? Any specifics tricks to watch out for?

Also sometimes makes an odd "scritch-a-scritch-a..." from the capstan area. It's a replacement capstan (I'm assuming, as it's a ceramic shaft and the collar that hold sit in place is all gouged up)

Thanks.

-jerry

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:32 am

Dear Mr. MCI JH,

I want a 16 trk head stack for my JH24. Where can I find one for like $100?

Ok, I know that price is a little far fetched but I could sure us one.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:04 am

jerrymac,

Here I am screwing around with SS and I should be helping you guys as well.

It sounds like your capstan motor is breaking phase. It could be a PLL problem. Have you wiggled the PLL on the motherboard to see if its a connector issue? Do you have an oscilloscope lying around to troubleshoot it? Maybe Mr. mci jh will have some more suggestions to try.

The PLL theory of operation is pretty simple. You have a crystal providing a frequency to lock to. Depending on the speed selected, the clock is divided down to 19.2 kHz and 9.6 kHz for 30ips and 15ips respectively. At the same time the capstan motor has a pulse generator on it, (an optical disk and some photocells) which tell the machine what speed the capstan is turning. These two signals are compared and corrections are made to the capstan to lock it to the 19.2 or 9.6 kHz.

So your problems can be either in the PLL or the photocell signal from the capstan motor, or the connections between everything.

You didn't mention whether or not you have an AL2 or AL3. In the AL3, the varispeed signal can be generated in the remote, so you can control it from there. If you're set in fixed, the machine only looks at the internal PLL reference and not the VCO in the remote. Thats assuming the PLL is working correctly.

CA

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:50 am

ladewd wrote:I have a MXP3056 tha hums like a banshee. Could it be because I live on top of an ancient Native American burial ground?

CA
Banshees scream, not hum. Ask any Irishman.

I have said for the last 20 years that the Arizona Cardinals suck because Sun Devil stadium is an ancient Hohokam burial site.
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:25 am

Psychic: Are you sure it's a JH24, and not JH16 audio? The randomness is do to relay timing, and the r/c timing of the command. So you have a mix of slower -v- faster relays, and slower -v- faster relay enable commands.

To minimize the problem, match the relays to the channels, replace some relays, replace capacitors on the enable line.

Dewd: Yes you've waited too long, and it depends on which way the wind blows. And, thanks for the assist.

jerrymac: ladewd is exactly right, could be molex/mother board pin connections, could be ic socket connection (oxidized op amps in oxidized sockets, could be bad op-amps or caps, could be weak photocells or other capstan tach problem, could be bearings in the motor, bad reel motor tension adjustment / pinch roller pressure. It could be you have more than one ref. freq. on at the same time.

Nacho: Get in line. Multiply that number by 20 +.......Try E-bay.

SS

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:40 pm

Here's an Idea. I want to track drums on a JH16 16trk at one studio w/ a sweet room and then take the tracks home and play them on my JH24.

Would it be possible to take the JH16 16 track head stack once I've recorded everything and put it on my JH24? I hear you can swap out the headstacks on MCI machines fairly easily without having to do a lot of mechanical adjustments, but I'm not sure is JH16 and JH24 head stacks are compatible. I've never swapped heads, and I'm not sure how to do it, I guess this falls into the RTFM catagory.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:55 pm

Is there a way to have a track stay in input for the player to rehearse to the tape and not record? I did this all the time on my 3M but the JH24 switches to sync as soon as I hit play, whick is normal, but I'd like to over-ride it sometimes.

And if you find 16-track heads for $100...I'll pay double!

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:09 pm

[quote="drumsound"]Is there a way to have a track stay in input for the player to rehearse to the tape and not record? I did this all the time on my 3M but the JH24 switches to sync as soon as I hit play, whick is normal, but I'd like to over-ride it sometimes.

And if you find 16-track heads for $100...I'll pay double![/quote]

Tony,
Simultaneously depress the input and sync buttons on the ALIII. This will keep the armed tracks in input without recording while in play mode.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/