Oktava 219 Manual? Help?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
matttherat
gettin' sounds

Oktava 219 Manual? Help?

Post by matttherat » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:43 am

I borrowed an Oktava 219 from a friend who lost the manual (dork).

Anyway, I am very new to the world of condensor mics and need to know how to properly operate as to not destroy the thing.

Can someone explain the settings on the mic itself as well as how to set up to record as an ambient mic - to record loud rock band practice?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: Oktava 219 Manual? Help?

Post by bedbug » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:06 am

Umm, I don't think I have the manual, but here's some info.

Besides phantom power, there's really only one "operating issue" I can think of. On one side of the mic there's two little sliders. I don't know what they are or what they do. But when they're both up it seems to louder. I use this for vocals and acoustic guitar. Pushing the right slider down is good for drums and room miking.

I know that sounds kinda retarded, but I hope it helps.

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:14 am

Actually most Oktavas I have sold in the past did not come with a manual. The switches are low cut and -10 db pad.
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:18 am

matttherat
gettin' sounds

Post by matttherat » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:23 am

parden my stupidity but what do "low cut and -10 db pad" mean exactly?

I'm assuming it has to do with sensitivity settings but what exactly am I doing?

Thank you for your replies.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:34 am

actually it's a high pass filter. the high pass filter cuts the level on sounds that are about 10khz...mostly used to cut out hiss noise. the -10db pad, reduces the level on sounds across the board by 10 decibles. this makes it less sensitive for recording a fairly loud source, or again to cover hiss or general noise. hope that helps.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:36 am

"Low cut" removes the extreme bass frequencies, useful if there is excessive lows being picked up by the microphone, or a low rumble of some sort is being picked up (air conditioner noise or the like). Generally, use it if the instrument you are recording is not a bass-type instrument.

"-10 pad" lowers the volume of the mic by 10 decibels. Useful when recording loud instruments (i.e. loud guitars, drums, etc.)

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:10 pm

I just picked one up on Friday - haven't played around with it much yet, but here's what I can tell you:

BASICS"
It's a cardiod-patterned dynamic microphone. The cardiod pattern favors the "front" of the mic - the front side being the one that doesn't have the switches, but does have the (()) logo and model designation.

To use the microphone, you'll need a 48v phantom power source (many boards, preamps, etc can supply this phantom power).

THE BACK SWITCHES:
The switch to the left is your "pad", which will lower the microphone's sensitivity by ~10dB.
- "N" means neutral; the "pad" is disengaged.

The switch to the right is a high-pass filter, which will block very low-end bassy signals that you might not necessarily want.
 ,,     ,,
-   __ means the filter is disengaged.
 ,, __ ,,
- /       means the filter is engaged, and low frequencies are being rolled off.

Because of how little I've used it, I wouldn't be the best advisor on placement to capture a practice room. Sorry.