payback's a bitch.....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
hollywood_steve
alignin' 24-trk

payback's a bitch.....

Post by hollywood_steve » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:01 am

all of us old f#cks who just shake our heads when another car goes by pumping out rap at insane volume through a few thousand watts of mondo stereo power finally get our chance to get back at you snot nosed punks.

Although I had heard of isolated cases before, the cover story in the LA Times yesterday indicated that it is now a nation wide trend. 7-11s, subway stations, local and national parks and countless other places that are tired of having to clean up after juvenile delinquents who trash their property finally have a sure-fire weapon: classical music!

According to the article, there has been almost universal success; every place that has installed a PA system cranking out Vivaldi or Brahms at a healthy volume has seen the JDs scatter like roaches, never to return! Whoever thought of this deserves a medal - what a brilliant idea!
Steve
Lexington 125 - High Resolution Location Recording

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: payback's a bitch.....

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:18 pm

In Seattle, I heard of a McDonalds downtown that was having a problem with drug dealers and vagrants hanging around outside. They started playing country music over a few speakers around the outside of the restaurant and now they don't have anyone hanging around anymore. Pretty funny.

shawn

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:28 pm

That's really fucking funny.
You mention an article - do you have a link?

-J

hollywood_steve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hollywood_steve » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:29 pm

I wonder if their is a potential business opportunity creating custom mix tapes targetted to vanquish specific types of undesirables? I know that if someone wanted to keep me away, they'd play non-stop hair-metal from the 80s or the "how many notes can I play in one bar" guys like Vai, Malmsteen, etc. And lets not forget the unholy trinity of bad 80's music: Styx, Supertramp & Kansas. (I could never tell them apart).

Any of those would guarantee my hasty exit.
Steve

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:29 pm

:rofl:

thats genius..

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:33 pm

That's awesome- though I don't love that classical music is being considered a deterrent! I like the idea of country music better!

The whole field of music/psychology is so interesting. Don't most shopping malls pick their music based on stuff that will soothe customers and make them stay there longer?

tkheadroom
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tkheadroom » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:33 pm

They actually did this back in the 90's on Short Vine in Cincinnati which, at the time, was an area near the university where all the "alternative" stores and clubs were. The street was infested with suburban gutter punks who took the bus down to beg for change to buy heroin or garbage pail kids or whatever... I think there was some sort of backlash because they don't have the music anymore. Last time I was down there it was really bad, even the stores that sold tee shirts and stuff were gone, kind of a shame actually, I kind of grew up down there, although not as a gutter punk.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:48 pm

What if you get some sophisticated gangstas?? The type who likes to blast some of Beethoven's 5th symphony while kickin a guy in the head?? then you'll be attracting them??
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:52 pm

I'd wager that polkas would have a better effect than classical/country music :D

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:00 pm

Careful for what you ask for....

In downtown Minneapolis, they did this on Block E (the former red light district)... now there's an insipid, Disney-like strip mall entertainment complex that caters to the ESPNZone set. And a 40 foot neon Hard Rock Cafe guitar across the street from First Avenue.

PS If you ever get into a blasting war, the nuclear option is Dwight Yoakum. Country guitars and yodeling cut through and destroy every time. :wink:

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:56 pm

kayagum wrote: In downtown Minneapolis, they did this on Block E (the former red light district)... now there's an insipid, Disney-like strip mall entertainment complex that caters to the ESPNZone set. And a 40 foot neon Hard Rock Cafe guitar across the street from First Avenue.
yeah, screw Block E. I'll never forgive them for driving away Broadway Books. Best pron store in the city, now a Chevy's.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

hollywood_steve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hollywood_steve » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:59 pm

You mention an article - do you have a link?

No link, it was on the front page of the Calendar section of the Sunday LA Times, 13FEB05
Steve

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:01 pm

Shawn1272 wrote:In Seattle, I heard of a McDonalds downtown that was having a problem with drug dealers and vagrants hanging around outside. They started playing country music over a few speakers around the outside of the restaurant and now they don't have anyone hanging around anymore.
Yeah but does anyone eat there any more?

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:23 pm

tkheadroom wrote:They actually did this back in the 90's on Short Vine in Cincinnati which, at the time, was an area near the university where all the "alternative" stores and clubs were. The street was infested with suburban gutter punks who took the bus down to beg for change to buy heroin or garbage pail kids or whatever... I think there was some sort of backlash because they don't have the music anymore. Last time I was down there it was really bad, even the stores that sold tee shirts and stuff were gone, kind of a shame actually, I kind of grew up down there, although not as a gutter punk.

He he- I've been in Cincinnati a long time and have played on Short Vine a zillion times. Sudsy Malone's was like a second home for a few years. The area has indeed gone downhill. They need some Lawrence Welk busting out loud and clear.

PC

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:31 pm

djdrake13 wrote:What if you get some sophisticated gangstas?? The type who likes to blast some of Beethoven's 5th symphony while kickin a guy in the head?? then you'll be attracting them??
Not gangstas, Droogs.