why did i get my first neighbor complaint?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

What's Shaking(my neighbor's house)?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:08 pm

Sub-bass Test Tones
33%
Earth-shatteringly awesome 24" kick drum/cannon
33%
Earth-shatteringly awesome recordings by Steve Albini, the mayor of recording
No votes
Parkinsons/withdrawal
33%

Total votes: 6

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

why did i get my first neighbor complaint?

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:08 pm

so, i've lived in this place for a year, recording and practicing with my band in my basement. apparently, Albini's recordings of the Wedding Present are so fucking rocking, even just at conversational level, it prompted the next door neighbor to come by and say whatever we're doing in the basement has been shaking her house for days. i guess i had been playing my drums a bit more the days before, but i always do that. i recently retuned my 24" wide open kick, and i suppose it's possible there's some ridiculous bass coming out of it that wont develop in my room. also, i'd done some listening tests that i know had tones starting around 25Hz around the same time. so what do you think put her over the edge?

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Re: why did i get my first neighbor complaint?

Post by DryCounty » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:13 pm

My guess is that drum.

At the risk of getting crushed, I never liked Albini's work on anything prior to and including the Wedding Present, except of course for his own shit. I though he just about ruined his half of "Bizarro" (listen to all of the U.S. domestic CD and you'll agree) and almost all of "Seamonsters" (I saw this tour, btw, insane, great, incredible, still have the shirt!). That is a great album, but it could have been so much better...ah well.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:15 pm

well, it was Seamonsters that was playing when she complained. guess she's a cinerama fan.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:47 pm

Years ago when I worked for a little speaker company, live sound stuff, we were testing 8 subs one night before they went off - first time we'd sold 8 of them! So we were having fun cranking the Yellowman (dub reggae) and such.

Next day we learn that the guy upstairs in our small industrial building had had a hard-drive crash. But hey, his fault he didn't do any backups, right? :oops: