Bigger improvement in quality - which one?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
shamalamadong
audio school graduate

Bigger improvement in quality - which one?

Post by shamalamadong » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:22 pm

I have about $1K to spend on new gear (selling some old stuff). I've bought a lot of stuff over the past few years and I'm looking for a piece(s) that will make a noticeable difference in my recording chain since this will be my last big ticket purchase for awhile. I've narrowed it down to either a Brett Averill BAE 312A for roughly $900 or an RNP and an SM7 (roughly $1000).

I can't really try out either one since they are both mail order, so I thought I'd ask people that may be familiar with the gear I mentioned above. I'm more or less looking for a noticeable upgrade to my recordings , nothing specific, just a "wow, I'm so much better off for buying this" and I'm not clear if the 312A will be a slight improvement or knock-me-off-my-chair improvement vs. a new mic and slightly less expensive preamp.

If it matters, I will say that I record one track at a time by myself and layer my recordings. Style of music is similar to Steve Earle and early Wilco.

Right now I use:

002r with stock preamps
Blue Baby bottle
AKG C3000
Rode NT3
Shure SM57
Shure SM58
Joe Meek VC3Q (occasionally, for direct bass and some vocals)

Thanks everyone.

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Re: Bigger improvement in quality - which one?

Post by nicksense15 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Looks like you have some decent mics already. Id go with the API, you could even get a dual Vintech 1272 neve copy for under a grand used.

Nick

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:39 pm

Go with pre's, yeah.

And btw, 1000 bucks is a BAD price for an sm7.

Buy used. 400 bucks!

You do need some large diaphrahm dynamics though, imo. Try to pick up at least a beyer m88, sm7, re20, or 421. Or all of em.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:32 am

the sm7 will take you far further in my opinion...i have the 312 it's a weird beast to me but it stil does nice things...but your mics are kinda lackluster...the sm7 rules.

if you want my used sm7 for 4 let me know...i'll buy one new for 3 at full compass.

Mike

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:25 am

You could build 1 channel of the Neve or API clones from Seventh Circle here and the Sm7, both for right about $1000.