no money for a u47...but

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
campironwood
ass engineer

Re: no money for a u47...but

Post by campironwood » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:30 pm

AT4050 all the way.

Very useful as a vocal mic, AND as a room mic, and sounds great on acoustic guitar.... and just about anything else.

because of the switchable patterns you can get really creative with your placement and find some coool sounds.

-matt

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 pm

bigtoe wrote: this is the greatest second hand info disclaimer ever. i'd buy the 4050.
:P

nutone
pluggin' in mics

Post by nutone » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:35 pm

Im not trying to say that the 4047 isnt a nice sounding mic. i bought two of them the day they came out. (i also own a pair of 4033's that i love for electric guitar and toms.) but i have used quite a few orignial tube47's and 47FETs and own some of the Soundelux "reproductions" and would just hate to see anyone buy a 4047 thinking it was going to in any way resemble a tube U-47...

ps. I have had repeated problems with my 4047s cutting in and out under high spl situations. they've been sent to AT for repair two or three times, and i always have assumed that maybe its because they were very early models... anyone else have problems with this ?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:01 pm

nutone wrote:Im not trying to say that the 4047 isnt a nice sounding mic. i bought two of them the day they came out. (i also own a pair of 4033's that i love for electric guitar and toms.) but i have used quite a few orignial tube47's and 47FETs and own some of the Soundelux "reproductions" and would just hate to see anyone buy a 4047 thinking it was going to in any way resemble a tube U-47...

ps. I have had repeated problems with my 4047s cutting in and out under high spl situations. they've been sent to AT for repair two or three times, and i always have assumed that maybe its because they were very early models... anyone else have problems with this ?
not yet.. (crossing fingers) One thing I like about the 4047 is they actually break up nicely at higher spl's on say, kick drum, or even loud vocals you can hear it. But I would be pissed if they cut out.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

nutone
pluggin' in mics

Post by nutone » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:08 pm

yeah i cant even use mine on kick drums because they are totally unreliable! one of them works ok on bass amps, the other cuts out. if anyone from AT is reading this and would like to fix them or replace them with a newer model that is usable on its intended source, i will think you are a much cooler company that you have been to me in the past...

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:48 pm

i will admit that ive been pretty pleased with my at3035. i know its not a great mic,but as my studio has grown its always stayed the most used mic in the barn.

is there a good cheap tube mic with multiple patterns?

the input has ben great guys,thanks.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Hey Nutone, I don't think any of us thought that the AT mic was going to resemble a vintage Neumann tube mic. I was just saying, as I think is true, that the 4047 has some of the characteristics of the 47fet mic. I wasn't really being as specific as I guess I should, but the original poster was all over the place asking about a U47 sounding mic that had multiple patterns....maybe a Sennheiser 441....$500....
The 4047, while not sounding like a $7000 vintage tube mic and still, not sounding like exactly like the $3000 or so vintage Neumann 47fet, does have some of the characteristics and I've found that it can probably be used in similar settings in a basic, home studio, first decent mic sort of setting. It's also a mic that I think a person will never outgrow....even if they did actually own a couple of real Neumann 47 mics. As everyone's pointing out, for five bills here, the guys going to have to basically choose one or the other, or get a cheap mic that'll sound like ass.
That really stinks that you've had so many problems with yours. That's actually the first time I've heard of any of that. AT as well is supposed to be great in the customer service department.
I know I've had my mic in front of huge kick drums, SVT bass rigs, as well as other assorted Marshall and Ampeg amps totally dimed with nary a problem. Also true what the other post said about fattening up thin vocals. Match this mic up with a fat API/OSA or Neve pre and it'll add some balls to a thin vocalist.

Later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:49 am

jmiller wrote:
bigtoe wrote: this is the greatest second hand info disclaimer ever. i'd buy the 4050.
:P
oh it was good...admit it... :)

Mike