no money for a u47...but

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

no money for a u47...but

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:41 am

id like to get somthing real soon that has a simmilar sound to that of the u47.

this will be my first purchase of a mic over 200 dollars im im looking to spend about 500 dollars.

one mic? maybe a 441,and another mic?

somthing with a few diffrent polar patters. somthing that will be good for vocals as well as a room mic,and sounds good on tape.

somthing tube?

like i said.this will be my first purchase of a mic over 200 dollars.

HELP!

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Re: no money for a u47...but

Post by BrianK » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:55 am

Tough call. I'd say there IS nothing like a U47 in that range. They are all very different, but you can get a good mic.

The PPA (Pacific Pro Audio) LD-2ube has a colored/recorded sound that you might like. But it's not neutral or hifi really.

An AKG 414 is pretty common used, VERY flat response (much more than a U47) and has lots of patterns, a great workhorse mic.

Many mics in that price range have bright, trebly sounds. Not what you want. You could also get two decent mics that sound different for that money...
Relax and float downstream...

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:17 am

I don't have experience with this particular mic, but some engineers i've talked to (in person, WORKING engineers, not just dudes online) that I trust have been pretty favorable toward the Audio Technica 4050. No, it's not a tube mic, but it's a well built mic that's affordable and not "cheap". And it's got switchable polar patterns. I've been meaning to try one but haven't got the dough anyway, so it would really be like dry humping with no happy ending.

I haven't tried many tube mics in that price range, but many strike me as being kinda cheap and something I'll just outgrow and later wish I had just saved up for a better one. I could be wrong, maybe they're great.

But give the 4050 a try, at least.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 am

Yeah, people here seem to really dig the AT mics, but I have not tried one. I'm like you, don't own a a u47, rarely spend over $500 on a mic, but I can say I absolutely adore my 414. Really dig it in all sorts of applications. A great mic on a budget.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:57 am

why a U47?

i'd try to find a UMT70k mic used...the k ones were made for full compass. i sold mine for 5 used a few years ago...it doesn't sound like a u47 that i know of...but it has the same capsule...

there was also one that Harvey Gerst wrote about...probably an MXL one...tube jobbie...

Mike

ps- "I don't have experience with this particular mic, but some engineers i've talked to (in person, WORKING engineers, not just dudes online) that I trust have been pretty favorable toward the Audio Technica 4050."

this is the greatest second hand info disclaimer ever. i'd buy the 4050.

:)

Peace
Mike

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:53 am

AT mics are pretty boss, but I think I would go for the 414. I've recorded lots of good stuff with one of those. On certain voices, it'll really do the trick for vocals.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:58 am

What about the AT 4047? It is based on the U47 fet model. You could find one used pretty cheap.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Vern
audio school graduate

Post by Vern » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:18 am

I'm surprised that hardly anyone mentions Rode Mics. I love my NTK. I'm not comparing it to a Neumann or anything but it sounds pretty awesome.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:08 am

the AT4050's are damn useful. i have 2 and really love them. not to dis the 414, though, it's way up there in my book.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:09 am

If you're looking for something that is sort of in the 47 ballpark and around $500, then the only choice is probably an AT4047. But, it's cardiod only...which is more than likely what you'll use most of the time for vocals and stuff like close micing of amps and kick drums.

If you're looking for a mic that will run you about $500 that has multiple patterns, very versatile and you won't outgrow, no matter how far you go with recording, then the other posts are dead on. I'd look for the used AKG 414BULS or AT4050. I'll add another mic to the list...the Beyer 740. I just picked up one for $500 and it's an absolute sleeper. List price is around $2K and it's a great, great mic....sort of a U87-U89 mix. I also hear that Jim at Audio Upgrades has a nice mod for it....I can't wait to send him mine to tweak.
Later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:15 am

another vote for the AT 4047. this ones a no brainer...go with the 4047 it's just a great mic based on the 47 and there is nothing budget about it. It is an indispensable mic in my cabinet and get's used constantly. And I do have few of the fancypants neumanns but the AT get used all the time.
Fave uses guitar amps, country male singers (gets deep round sound) bass amp, doghouse bass-

it's got a nice thick chunk to the sound, and can take enormous levels or be delicate-

you just can't do better if your looking for the 47FET type thing for $500-

no I don't work for AT

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:34 am

I'd like to put in a lonely little vote for the ADK TC model. It is tube but not multi-pattern. Mine is actually in the shop right now, getting a new tube. Which is to say that it has gotten weird recently. But, when it was in its prime, it sounded amazing. I'm hoping it returns to its former luster with the new tube. It had a very soft high end (which recently became strident)...just an amazing mic.

And in your price range, too.

nutone
pluggin' in mics

Post by nutone » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:26 pm

hate to say it guys but the AT4047 is "based on" a Nuemann U-47FET... A U-47fet while an outstanding mic, sounds NOTHING like a plain old tube U-47. and furthermore, the AT4047 while being an ok mic for its price, sounds NOTHING like a U-47FET.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm really into the 4047 I have. Great on acoustic guitar, sometimes. Great on vocals, sometimes. A lot of proximity effect so you might have to back off.

But its got a large, warm bottom end with lots of smooth high end energy (a rare combination in a mic this price range)

I use it all the time on vocals, acoustic, electric bass, and sometimes if I want a big kick I'll do that too.

4047. Cardoid only. Character.
or...
4050. Multipattern. Clean.

Both really good mics.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:24 pm

Studio Projects C3

think of it as a multi-pattern version of the C1 (see Mic Review Thread).

not bad at all and pretty damned close to your price point.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca