Balanced Jack Unbalanced Plug

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bamse
gettin' sounds

Balanced Jack Unbalanced Plug

Post by bamse » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:53 am

I was gonna run some cables from my Echo Layla24. You can set the the layla outputs to balanced or unbalanced. Would it be okay to run an unbalanced cord to a "balanced" coleman lineswitcher then off to a VS8880 with an unalanced cord.

Layla24 (unalanced out)--------------------------->Coleman Lineswitcher (balanced in, balanced out)------------------->VS880 (unbalanced in)

Thanks.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Balanced Jack Unbalanced Plug

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:10 am

bamse wrote:I was gonna run some cables from my Echo Layla24. You can set the the layla outputs to balanced or unbalanced. Would it be okay to run an unbalanced cord to a "balanced" coleman lineswitcher then off to a VS8880 with an unalanced cord.

Layla24 (unalanced out)--------------------------->Coleman Lineswitcher (balanced in, balanced out)------------------->VS880 (unbalanced in)

Thanks.
you can switch between balanced and unbalanced?
i have a Layla24 also and never saw that.
how do i change it?

myself, i run balanced ins and outs to/from my Layla24 to a TRS patchbay.
if i need to convert to/from unbalanced TS i use an Ebtech "Hum Eliminator".
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:04 am

Why would you take an unbalanced run from the Layla if the Coleman is balanced in?? stay balanced on that step?
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

bamse
gettin' sounds

Post by bamse » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 am

I don't have enough cable and I don't feel like going to Sam Ash to pick up bulk again. I wanna use the Coleman and vs880 today.

You can change the Layla24 outputs from balanced to unbalanced in the control panel, at least on the Mac.
if i need to convert to/from unbalanced TS i use an Ebtech "Hum Eliminator".
How come the Layla24, VS880 accepts both then without using a Hum Eliminator? Is it built-in?

regarding: DIY Cables
Can I just get the braided shield straight down in a line instead of untangling it which takes such a long time?