About the earlier issues

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Are issues 12, 13 and 14 really worth $10?

Of Course; why are you asking such a stupid question?
30%
Hell no; just some more episodes of that English guy moaning about how long it takes Talk Talk to record the sound of water!
10%
You actually have money for this?!?! I'm still ordering off the dollar menu at Jack in the Crack!
10%
"I am pretty, damn you people! I am a pretty princess! " -heylow, 3/5/03, BETA Board
50%

Total votes: 10

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

About the earlier issues

Post by DeafinONEear » Tue May 13, 2003 2:54 am

I just went ahead and ordered all of the old issues that I didn't have, with the exception of issues 12, 13 and 14 because the site selling them is CHARGING 10.00 EACH! (WTF?)
So I was wondering, to anyone that has TO's that far back, are they really worth the extra dough?
And what the hell gives with them charging so much?!?!?!

cbcmusic
alignin' 24-trk

Re: About the earlier issues

Post by cbcmusic » Tue May 13, 2003 8:18 am

I have to go check out what my first issue was and if I have those, I'll let you know. But to be obvious, I haven't had a single bad issue ever.

Anyway, Heylows pretty princess ass gets my vote. :hearts:
cbc

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue May 13, 2003 9:38 am

My guess would be that they're running out of those.

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Tue May 13, 2003 10:10 am

supply and demand. supply is low. demand is high.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue May 13, 2003 10:32 am

Man, I need to get mine before they're gone!

-mark

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Tue May 13, 2003 10:59 am

12 was the first one i ever bought. i thought to myself: "an interview with fugazi about recording?" and so i bought it. those issues were the ones that got me hooked, i do think it keeps getting better, but theyre certainly fun reads, or so i thought back then. i'm personally only missing issue 15, 18, and 20, from 12- present. there was a while that the store here stopped carrying them and i didnt have a subscription..... in fatc i just noticed that for the first time all those issues are available and relatively cheap..... here i go.....

newnumbers
audio school graduate

Post by newnumbers » Tue May 13, 2003 3:24 pm

i started subscribing at issue 10. i would say the early issues you mentioned are worth the price. not to be a dick or disrespectful or anything, but i like the earlier issues better. focus has seemed to change a bit (and went away from what i'm more into). but i'm not complaining. i'll thank anyone for the time put in.

i say go for it.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Tue May 13, 2003 6:47 pm

i have bought back issues of tape op before and i gotta say... you could do worse than to spend a few extra bucks on tape op issues.

at least from my perspective. i get excited about recording stuff every time i read a new (or old) issue and it mentions something i've never tried before. the reviews of albums (newer issues, the "what we're listening to"; older issues, "cassette corner") sometimes point me to great stuff to listen to.

i think the mag has gotten better over time, at least from the perspective of the technical articles. (geoff farina and your backwards resistors are you listening! hahah) plus now that the phill brown stuff is finally over, i don't end up sitting in the middle of a recording session thinking, "man, phill brown mixed a lot of stuff on coke. i bet i could totally get these guitars to sit in the mix if i got some coke. damn"

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 14, 2003 12:12 pm

Just wanted to give an update-- if you wanted 12, 13 and 14, the other place that sells them is Quimbys, and they are selling them for $3.50. You have to call them though, but the person who took my order was very nice.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 14, 2003 1:05 pm

Got a tel#?

-mark

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 14, 2003 1:12 pm

(773) 342-0910

it's on the TO main page under back issues.

I wouldn't tell them about thier competition... I really wouldn't have bought them if they were $10 (it adds up, you know) and I'm sure there are alot of people on the board that could be using that extra $6 to feed themselves.

Shipping is like a flat rate of $6 or something so it helps to buy in bulk.