Pre for VO work

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Pre for VO work

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:03 pm

I am shopping for a mic pre for my Post-production studio, we record VO only, and maybe a little foley work here and there. Mics are AKG 414, U87, and a SP C-1(which sounds great on alot of voices), right now I'm using a Presonus MP20 which is fine, I have no real complaints, but I want something special.
We had a great year and I'd like to upgrade some stuff. I have listened to the mic pre shootout the guys did out in Chicago, but it's drum recordings, so it's hard to tell what would happen in a vocal session.
From the recording I hear the API sounds special, very detailed and bright,
the Telefunken and the Hamptone are much louder files, I'm guessing they have more gain than the others, but it makes it hard to hear the diff in the quality.
Anyone have any favs to steer me to for detailed, neutral sounding 2ch. mic pres.
I am leaning towards an Averill set of 312's in the 2ch. config. I have never heard a Neve 1073 styled pre so I'm not sure if that is a direction to go in(how does it compare to an API) .

If anyone thinks I'm nuts to spend the money on pre's just for VO work, I'm open to those suggestions as well.

Thanks for your time

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Re: Pre for VO work

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:25 pm

as a note, the main voice production studio in Austin uses DBX 576 preamps.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:54 pm

psychicoctopus wrote:as a note, the main voice production studio in Austin uses DBX 576 preamps.
Totally. if you can find one though. Nobody's giving them up and they're out of production.

Look a good book that's out of print. Thpppppppt!

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:58 pm

KennyLusk wrote:
psychicoctopus wrote:as a note, the main voice production studio in Austin uses DBX 576 preamps.
Totally. if you can find one though. Nobody's giving them up and they're out of production.

Look a good book that's out of print. Thpppppppt!

I have a DBX576 that I got for some consulting work last year. I actually really like it alot though some have slagged it. What I'm most curious about is would a better tube make it even better? and what tube could I use as a repalcement?

For VO here in NYC the standard seems to be Focusrite RED. Not that exciting but it really has that "pro" sound

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:00 pm

i work in a v/o studio in manhattan. we use the Focusrite ISA 428, which i purchased for the studio based on the high end focusrite stuff's reputation alone. it's proven to be an EXCELLENT choice for v/o work. crystal clear and clean. the ISA 430 might be a better choice for you as it has many built in features such as EQ, Comp, de-ess, etc.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:43 pm

[quote="nestle

I have a DBX576 that I got for some consulting work last year. I actually really like it alot though some have slagged it. What I'm most curious about is would a better tube make it even better? and what tube could I use as a repalcement?

For VO here in NYC the standard seems to be Focusrite RED. Not that exciting but it really has that "pro" sound[/quote]

Absolutely. Upgrading the tubes in your preamp can make a very dramatic difference. It's worth the money.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:47 pm

I really like the sound of the BBC stuff so I would recommend using what they have..Neve and Audix(ex-neve) broadcast desk preamps..

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:32 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:I really like the sound of the BBC stuff so I would recommend using what they have..Neve and Audix(ex-neve) broadcast desk preamps..
I have to agree on that, the BBC defines excellence in my book, especially
in the documentary world.
In my years of recording I don't believe I have ever been recorded on any Neve gear, I am familiar with the API and Focusrite(red) gear.
I might see if I can rent some studio time somewhere with a good selection
of pre's and do my own shootout on voice over stuff.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:03 pm

We use a Focusrite Red 7. Very clean. John Hardys are great too.
Also, many VO studios use a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic. Great for booming announcer or for ADR work.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:53 pm

Depends on what we are doing but if we are recording a Voice over we use our ISA 430MKII. Very clean channel strip with good compressor and eq. If we are doing foley we use a Manley Slam pre. Great compressor and high gain pre. If we are doing ADR we use a GML pre with the mic used on set usually a Schoeps. Very transparent alot like the cooper mixer used in production. If all else fails we use the Euphonix pre. Also very clean with lots of gain if we need it.

Hope this helps

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:03 pm

KennyLusk wrote:[quote="nestle

For VO here in NYC the standard seems to be Focusrite RED. Not that exciting but it really has that "pro" sound
Absolutely. Upgrading the tubes in your preamp can make a very dramatic difference. It's worth the money.[/quote]

Actually it was the 586 (2pres) but any suggestions what specific tubes would be best, it's got me thinking lol, like I can afford this!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:42 am

http://tubedepot.com/ is a great site.

I've used The Tube Store a few times with great results. I've never been dissatisfied with them. http://www.thetubestore.com/

I think the 586 uses 12AU7's but you might want to double check. So far, in the budget range I've been in love with the Tesla/JJ's. I've heard the Philips are good tubes and the Tungsram ECC82's too.

In my experience Soviet tubes are best for guitar work and personally I don't like any of the Chinese tubes I've used or heard.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:54 am

I dont know that I would want an api 312 for VO work. If you love the sound, at least go with a 512 which would be much cleaner sounding. The hamptone is great but again, not my first choice for VO. Id be looking for something clean sounding, try to ttake a listen to a john hadry servo amp if you can and see if you like it. Out of all the music stuff people like, I would be leaning towards neve gear, its colored, but doesnt base its signature around crunchy distortion like other stuff.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:52 am

Another vote for the Focusrite ISA 428. I also just got a massenburg pre but haven't had a chance to hear it as my new studio isn't up yet (long story; don't ask). But I've used the focusrite a bunch lately for VO and I like it a bunch.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

goose
ass engineer

Post by goose » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:54 am

I've had lots of satisfied clients with the Focusrite Red 3. No EQ, except for
a low cut filter, but I find that if I'm reaching for the EQ I'd rather change mics to get the sound I'm going for.