What kind of drum skins are you using?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Re: What kind of drum skins are you using?

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:53 pm

the suede on birch is amazing
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Dave Nutz
pushin' record

Post by Dave Nutz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Zeppelin4Life wrote:the suede on birch is amazing
indeed, im using em on a pearl brx, which are normally fairly boxy sounding drums(gotta love thick ass shells with heavy as hell hoops), and they opened up a fair bit...next step is ditch the diecast hoops.
01010100 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100001 01100100 01100101 01110010 00100001

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:03 pm

Evans Genera Dry on snare, Hydraulics on toms, with open bottoms. All tapeop messageboard recommendations!

I like my drums DEAD.

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:23 pm

inverseroom wrote: toms, with open bottoms.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

unless yr chester thompson, in which case you are also allowed to have more than 4 pcs in yr kit. :D
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:03 am

My go-to setup for kick the Aquarian Super Kick II (the clear one with the muffling ring). For most kicks this does the super beefy/smacky thing. Also sounds great w/ the ported front head on my 20" Rogers kick...more of a Billy Martin kind of thing.

Toms and snares usually get coated ambassadors...nothing shocking there, but it's a good place for me to start. It's sort of a blank slate so mess with...and if I want something different I usually go for some kind of tuning or weird physical thing (tape, jingles, envelopes full of BB's, etc...) before I go to put on a different head. I got some great sounds tonight with a kick/snare/hat setup that had semi-thick hand towels taped to it so that you had to play the kit THRU them. It was a small room, but I was playing super lightly and running blend of the kit thru a CompTortion pedal and a Sherman Filterbank :twisted: But I digress...

I also can't praise Earthtone Heads enough. They are the warmest, roundest, funkiest things. Two of those on a kick drum and a mastodon fur loin cloth is all you need to set yourself free. Sounds like a frickin' DRUM. Great for super fat, semi-dry kind of snares. Record REALLY well. :D

Carry on!

D

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 am

inverseroom wrote:Evans Genera Dry on snare, Hydraulics on toms, with open bottoms. All tapeop messageboard recommendations!

I like my drums DEAD.
And I salute you!!! With this picture!!!

Enjoy!!!
D

denial
pluggin' in mics

Post by denial » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:42 am

shamrock recording wrote:...Genera Dry on the snare...
The first time I heard that head on a snare had me questioning the drum.

A client brought his kit into the studio and set it up. Whilest miking the kit I noticed the holes and internal muffle ring (which had me worried). When he hit the snare I was shocked at how lifeless it was. So much tone and character had been removed.

The drummer looked puzzled at me so I brought out a few snares belonging to the studio and we set them up. After a few hits on each of the snares, the drummer declared hatred towards the Genera Dry head so we changed it to a Coated Emperor and all was good again.

Ambassadors and Emperors all the way!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:18 am

My most hated and expensive "dry" head would be the aquarian jack dejohnette. Sure, its black powder coated. But it still sounds like ass!

A guy was using one of these for a funk (yes, funk) session at the studio I was then interning at, and it just wasn't bringing the funk. I didn't want to say, being just the humble intern. But give me a low tuned emperor with some "moon gels" anyday. Or a CS with kleenex taped all over it. Those Dr. Scholls pads work good too. Basically anything but a Jack DeJohnette head.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:43 am

TwistedTones wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Evans Genera Dry on snare, Hydraulics on toms, with open bottoms. All tapeop messageboard recommendations!

I like my drums DEAD.
And I salute you!!! With this picture!!!

Enjoy!!!
D
Can't... quite... reach... drums...

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:52 am

What works for me on my main kit (vintage 60's Ludwig) is clear Ambassadors top and bottom on toms, coated Ambassader on snare top with hazy on bottom, and Power Stroke 3 on kick with a coated Ambassador
resonant head.
Keep in mind I'm a singer/guitar player, but I love the way these sound on this kit.
I use all kinds of different stuff for different bands I work with.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:05 am

Another vote for Rennaisance batters on snares. Diplomats on teh snare side. Fibreskins on toms. And mine are single headed as well. I think I have an Aquairian batter on the kick. Really want to try one of the Fibreskin/powerstroke heads for that. front head on the kick is trash. I think it was originally a two ply head, that I shredde one ply off of. Small off center hole.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:31 am

i recently replaced my snare head (was a coated diplomat.) i decided to take a look at the evan's heads. i saw all the vented ones and just imagined my brushes getting stuck in them. all their models seemed geared for sounds i'd never care to get. found a comparable one to the diplomat, and compared the texture. the diplomat won. i bought another diplomat. "making soup" on those things when they're new sounds nearly as loud as hitting it.