Condensor Kick Drum

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Condensor Kick Drum

Post by UnlikeKurt » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:14 pm

Hey all
just curious...is anyone using a large diaphragm condensor on their kick drum?
whether it be along with a dynamic or not?
If so, what kind, why, and how are you setting it up/blending it in the mix?
Just interested in the idea is all
thanks

nutone
pluggin' in mics

Re: Condensor Kick Drum

Post by nutone » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:18 pm

always! U47fet is first choice, soundelux IFET would be second, and a rode NT1 is 3rd (i think its the nt1? looks like an 87) it is usually 80-100% of my kick sound. sometimes, if needed) i'll mix in a beyer m-88 or d-12 (not 112!) right inside the hole (if there is one) for some attack.

audioez
audio school graduate

Post by audioez » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:21 pm

The most widley used set up I see and use sometimes for kick is this. MD421 inside the kick, and a U47 Fet outside the kick. Sometimes blended to one track or just isolated to seperate tracks. The problem is that you must isolate the rest of the drum set from the Fet47 or ELSE!!!!! Packing blankets work nice as long as you can get some type of tunnel going; But most engineers who were isolation junkies back in the day, have told me in there old age a singe MD421 works nice, even if its the board mic pre your using...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:23 pm

I've used an AKG 414, AKG Solid Tube, AT 4050, AT 4047, Neumann U87, Neumann FET47, Telefunken U47, and just last week, a Milab VIP-50, all with nice results at one time or another. Some of these have been inside the drum, some have been outside the drum, both with another mic (dynamic or condenser) and without. My favorite is probably the FET47, as I've gotten the most consistently joyous results out of it, both by itself and with another mic, depending on the sound of the kit and the music at hand. I also tend to like the 414 or 4050 inside the drum in omni mode.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:24 pm

since you're talkin about kick drum miking, has anyone used a realistic or crown pzm inside the kick drum? how did you like that?

*edit* sorry, it's kinda a hijack, if only a mild one. feel free to disregard this post.
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:26 pm

ezraudio,

Isn't that a 3126 in your avatar? Is that yours?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:18 pm

Kind of a pzm...

I use the Shure sm91 (boundary condenser) inside on a t-shirt to pick up the slap when I'm looking for that.

In conjunction with a l.d. dynamic either on the outer head, or just in the hole. (beyer m88,m99)

I've also used my at4047 just outside the front head which sounds great, just slightly boxy.

Chris, that omni condenser in the kick sounds like a great idea! I need to get some mini boom stands.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

KFT
pushin' record

Post by KFT » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:22 pm

Audix D6 (or sometimes even D2) on the inside with a BLUE Mouse outside the kick. Blend to taste. D12E on the inside of the kick is nice too.

t morgan
audio school

Post by t morgan » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:15 pm

I've been getting great sounds with a Shure ksm44 at the front head and a Soundelux 95 (compressed) about 3-4 feet away waist high as a room/kit mic. A fet47, 421, with a little bit of an ns10 speaker mixed in is the best rock-n-roll I've heard.

MusicEuphony
pluggin' in mics

Post by MusicEuphony » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:46 pm

The last engineer to come by this studio used a Neumann U47 FET inside of the kick drum pointed a little to the side of the beater and it sounded fantastic for the rock band that was being recorded. I haven't yet sorted what all mics are large diaphragm condensers in my mind, so though I remember what most mics sound like that I've used/seen used, I don't know if any other than the 47 are large diaphragm.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:09 pm

i like three mics...
overkill? nah... i sub 'em to one channel anyways, i don't hate myself that much...

anyways. 441 on the batter, usu. shure beta52 inside the shell, another empty kickshell in front of the live drum with a blanket over it and an earthworks tc40k omni mic in the outer shell. blend to taste. some days the batter is the shit. (usu. on vintage drums with a full front head) but the omni outside always adds some air to the thing. let the sound propagate a bit. i've used other mics out there. a 414 in a pinch, though ii find the omni on a 414 very lifeless. and a lawson L47 come to mind. good times. good times...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:21 pm

I seem to wind up with a FET47 outside, and a sennheiser E602 inside these days. I have liked: RE20,D112,Beta52, M88, or 57 inside, with a 47, mouse, SM7, Lomo 19a19, or something weird like an sm81 or lav out front.

I have gone back and forth a zillion times, but tonight I am using the e601 in and the lomo about 4 feet back as a mostly kick room mic. Along with a bunch of other crap.