Direct Outs + I/O Ins VS. Inserts on Patchbay

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
citystate
takin' a dinner break

Direct Outs + I/O Ins VS. Inserts on Patchbay

Post by citystate » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:34 pm

This may be a very ignorant question, but I have never used a patchbay and I couldn't find this using the search function.

I have a 24 channel topaz console and a motu 24 i/o. I want to wire up a patchbay to include a few outboard pre's and compressors. In a few other threads people have their direct outs and interface i/o on the patchbay. Could I just hardwire the console and interface and just put the console inserts on the patchbay?

Randy
tinnitus

Re: Direct Outs + I/O Ins VS. Inserts on Patchbay

Post by Randy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:24 pm

That's what I do. I have fears that someday I may do what workshed did in this thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=27786

The jury is still out on what caused his problems, but I wouldn't put it past some stray +48v phantom power hitting some (or many) ICs.

The problem with going from D.O. to patchbay to recorder is that you have to mult the output of the device you patched inline to hear what you are doing. (that is, if you are recording to a computer and use the console to bypass the playthrough to avoid latency problems.)

Another downside to using the insert is that you end up putting more wires in between the mic and the recorder. I decided that was a small price to pay for the ability to quickly change setups, and to conserve channels.

You might want to connect a few of the Topaz's line inputs to the patchbay and only connect the external mic preamps through those.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:24 pm

Man, this is totally patchbay day around here.

I'm still not sure what went awry, but I do know two of the PC cards on my patchbay also seem to be fried now. I'm torn about my patchbay setup now -- whether I want to keep it how it is, or play it safer an not normal the the board outs to the MOTU ins. I may have to just do as Randy suggested and run the inputs from the board to the patchbay and then hardwire the board to the MOTU. Although I need to see if my board will still allow xlr inputs to work if there is something in the input jack.

I'm thinking I will post my patchbay layout here for review before I hook my mixer back up, once it gets back from the shop. You may want to do the same.

Wire
gettin' sounds

Post by Wire » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:33 pm

If you have any question about bays, please feel free to contact me dave@livewiresi.com we custom build patchbays for studios all the time and I can help you out with what you need!

Good luck!