general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nickgamboa
audio school

Post by nickgamboa » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:30 pm

Hello all, I am new here. I decided that it was finally time for me to stop talking about getting in to recording and finally act on it. I find this messageboard fantasic, and super informative for a beginner who knows nothing about recording like me! Ok, now for my question....I decided to go with a simple Tascam four track to get start, but I find that there are a couple of different models on ebay. Is there any particular differance in them, or should I just pick on and go?! Where else can I do to read on this if any place at all?!

thanks...

nick

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Newbie

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:10 pm

Not sure Nick. You're looking at a cassette 4-track? You may be able to find information on Tascam's website. They're bound to be fairly cheap at this point so I'd just get the best one you can. Have fun.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:17 pm

nick, you're going to need some API lunchbox eq's the 550a's are nice, stay away from the 550a-1's the datatronics peeps just didn't have it together.

just kidding.

get the best stuff you can afford at the moment and make the most noise you can!

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:19 pm

Welcome to the board. At the top is a search function where you might find a few additional threads of interest. I definitly recommend checking out some of the manufacturer's websites as well. I can't remember the specific model number but I had a great 4-track back in the day (10 years ago) made by yamaha which had some great features, sounded nice (for what it was) and was super reliable. If I remember which one I'll post it or send you a PM but you shouldn't just look at tascam.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Hey Nick,
you also might want to check here: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=3214

all the best with starting up. Have fun with it! Those are the best memories I have, getting my first four track. Nothing compares.

-Darrill

**edit** oh yeah. And cassettes are cheap!, buy a bunch.
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...