Craig's List For Studios

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Craig's List For Studios

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:32 am

Ho many of you have used Craig's List to advertise your studios or services or hook up with clients? (No gear stories please.) I hear about weird shit on there and am scared to look, and after the Katz Meow I'm more scared. I had someone looking for clients, which they in turn wanted to bring to me for a finder's fee. It never happened and she spent a lot of time dealing with people who really didn't want to commit to anything in the end. Is this typical? What are your stories?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: Craig's List For Studios

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:53 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Ho many of you have used Craig's List to advertise your studios or services or hook up with clients? (No gear stories please.) I hear about weird shit on there and am scared to look, and after the Katz Meow I'm more scared. I had someone looking for clients, which they in turn wanted to bring to me for a finder's fee. It never happened and she spent a lot of time dealing with people who really didn't want to commit to anything in the end. Is this typical? What are your stories?
Don't know how much help this is, but most of the studios I've seen advertising on Craig's list in my area (SF) have been closer to the Kat's Meow than anywhere I would be interested in recording. It's free to post, and every body knows about it, so it draws the lowest common denominator. I would hazard that you are more likely to find people looking for a cheap, 'but I just want an hour and a half to record my band for $20'', than many serious leads.

That said, it's free. Perhaps you'll catch someone who had already heard of you, and was looking around, and remind them to call you. I don't think that somehow you'll be confused with the Kat's Meow, just because you both post ed to C-L. Then again, you might end up wasting time, which is worth more than it's given credit for.

I have met all my current long-term collaborators on craigslist, along with all my room mates for the last five years, but personally wouldn't cruise craig's list looking for a studio. (I use tapeop for that :>) Then again, I am not your average much of anything, anyway.

Good luck.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Re: Craig's List For Studios

Post by andyg666 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 am

i put an ad on craigslist in NYC advertising cheap recording rates at a good studio in manhattan during the overnights. a producer answered the ad and I did 2 sessions with him, one that was 3 nites, one that was one. we recorded basic tracks for a couple of different artists he was producing. they paid the bills on time, they were actually pretty talented (check out www.veredmusic.com) and i had a great time and made a bit of money. i also had a singer answer another ad i placed come into my day-job voice recording studio to sing over some R&B instrumentals. she was super nice, but really couldn't sing. she tried to do this really difficult arrangement of some R&B singer's track with her own lyrics which she hadn't memorized. she wanted it to sound like it did on the record... when i told her there were probably more than 10 layered vocal tracks going on in the chorus, she realized she was in a bit over her head. but--she paid and it was generally pretty cool. i also had a dude answer that same ad and come in to record some german children's songs for an afterschool program. really simple, 1 minute tunes with nylon string and voice. he had never been in a studio before, but did very well, and also--paid his bill.

so that's like 4 sessions. i've had at least twice that many flakes who blew me off, had no real idea of what they wanted, or never replied to my reply to them. so you take the good with the bad. if you have time to weed through some bullshit, you might find some decent work and meet some cool people. oh yeah, and make some money.